Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Mexican made Nicholson files I TESTED are soft skinned

DBurnette is offline Aluminum

Quote Originally Posted by toolmonger View Post
    We are a Cooper tools dealer...We are looking at other driver bit lines, mainly Wiha. I think the Wiha brand is excellent, but for how long?

Mike
    Wiha is German-made, and they seem to have both a high quality and a 'value' line. They aknowledge that there is a place for both in the market, which Cooper/Danaher, etc. don't seem to.

Anyway, I've been ordering Wiha hand tools and interchangeable blades (torx, Philips, etc.) for the past year, and they stand up pretty well to abuse. They tend to be my go-to these days...Hopefully it lasts.

metaldestroyer is offline Plastic

Hi all; Just try to imagine what MBA stands for Management By Ah,s

lazlo is offline Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by HuFlungDung View Post
    Maybe, if it looks like a file, you could actually send a batch to a competent heat treater, and get them carburized and rehardened.
    That was the first thing that came to mind: Nichols used high-grade 1095 carbon steel. Anyone want to bet what kind of crap steel Danaher is supplying the new "Nichols" factory with?

9100 is offline Diamond

Quote Originally Posted by TDegenhart View Post
    Do you just suppose that there is a connection between this type of thing and the rise of MBA's?

On a separate note, the company I started working for in 1970, a major Fortune 500, had a general manager of the unit I was with, that told his manufacturing and engineering people that complaints were too low, that they were to reduce product cost and performance to increase complaints, and in the short term, increase profits. The company had a program to train new managers by putting them in a business unit for three years and then moving them. This guy left a trail of destruction that effectively put the business unit I was with out of business. But I guess the company did ok, they are still making turbines, light bulbs and locomotives.

Tom
    I did a lot of work for the same company. The parts I remaunfactured were assembled by a Czech immigrant who wasn't a bit shy about letting me know when something wasn't right. His boss, whom I dealt with for way over 20 years, had the same philosophy, which was fine with me because I had a built in quality control Czech. Sorry, I couldn't resist that. In their wisdom, the company closed the shop and the work went to an outfit in Arkansas that hires JO's chimps. Their product is junk, but I can't compete because they company will not sell me the parts I don't make. Tooling up for everything would just not be feasible.

Bill

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12