What's new
What's new

Musings on the healing power of making stuff

Skooter

Plastic
26 years seemed like a long time a few months ago, before I lost my Dad, now it feels like I turned around twice and that time was all gone. My Dad was the finest man I have ever encountered, I was his youngest son and he was my closest friend, then what appeared to be a bowel obstruction turned out to be a Cancerous tumor which turned out to be one of so many. Two years they said, quickly amended to four to six months. The poor man only lasted eight weeks.

Naturally this threw me for a substantial loop, which brings me to my point, up until then I had taken for granted the calming effect and the soothing you get from making things. Even the slightly frustrating jobs that come in, the problem solving is so relaxing in a strange kind of way. I'm fortunate enough in that my job and my interests happen to be the same so I get to spend a fair amount of time "in therapy". I can't be the only one, can I?

Andy

First off Andy, I am sorry for your loss. I lost my Dad when I was 30 years old and just starting to get my $#!t together, making a living wage in a machine shop. It took me a few years after his death, a divorce, and job hops to get back to a good place in life.

The machining bug is contagious. I find myself making stuff just to add to my ever burgeoning collection of workholding tools. It keeps me from being idle and increases the skill set that is never quite complete. Your Dad (and mine) wouldn't want you to have a heavy heart. Their pride in us would stem from our keeping busy and cleverness in making stuff I think.

Sympathies Skooter. And yes, making things can be calming. I have sometimes found that cleaning and repairing can be as well. Maybe something about the process of renewal that comes from that.

But in any case, focusing on useful things that help you, in your circumstance, is key.

Peace be with you.

Yep, making stuff can require so much focus that you forget for a little while about your pain and suffering.

Keep moving forward and do your best at life. That's what your dad would want.

Sorry for your loss Andy. The 3 previous responses couldn't be more true or said any better. Just remember, we are here for you if you need to talk or need a shoulder.

Ron

It was a year ago Thursday since I lost my Dad (pancreatic cancer). He was my mentor, hero, and most importantly my best friend. I get a lump in my throat just typing this and reading your post. I'm a fourth generation machinist, my father was a tool and die maker in Detroit back in the 60's. I followed in all his footsteps and I too find soothing feelings in being craftsman. I don't know if it's the process of creating something from nothing, the concentration you are forced to dedicate to the process, or just the simple pride we all carry in our craft, but for me I think I just feel closer to him when I'm building something (doesn't really matter what it is).

Robbie

First off Andy, I am sorry for your loss. I lost my Dad when I was 30 years old and just starting to get my $#!t together, making a living wage in a machine shop. It took me a few years after his death, a divorce, and job hops to get back to a good place in life.

The machining bug is contagious. I find myself making stuff just to add to my ever burgeoning collection of workholding tools. It keeps me from being idle and increases the skill set that is never quite complete. Your Dad (and mine) wouldn't want you to have a heavy heart. Their pride in us would stem from our keeping busy and cleverness in making stuff I think.

Lost mine 33 yrs. ago, just about the same way. They first said gallbladder, and then found several tumors. He spent a miserable yr. before it got him. At 63 I am 3 yrs. older then he was at that time. You never quit thinking about them.
James

Buddy of mine, going through a miserable divorce, spent untold hours machining a 12" long, 12" diameter steel shaft into a 12"(approx) cube, using only 3/8" endmills in a Model M Bridgeport, hand cranking the whole thing. Must have been better than dealing with his soon to be ex-wife!

Dale

It was a year ago Thursday since I lost my Dad (pancreatic cancer). He was my mentor, hero, and most importantly my best friend. I get a lump in my throat just typing this and reading your post. I'm a fourth generation machinist, my father was a tool and die maker in Detroit back in the 60's. I followed in all his footsteps and I too find soothing feelings in being craftsman. I don't know if it's the process of creating something from nothing, the concentration you are forced to dedicate to the process, or just the simple pride we all carry in our craft, but for me I think I just feel closer to him when I'm building something (doesn't really matter what it is).

Robbie

Just a bit over 3 months here, hurts like hell. The doctors think it originated in the Pancreas in my Dad's case too, which is why it spread undetected, it's a hell of a thing.
Hang in there bro as I try and do the same.

Also, thank you all for your kind words I do appreciate it.

Andy

Even the slightly frustrating jobs that come in, the problem solving is so relaxing in a strange kind of way.

Sorry for your loss. :(

The continual problem solving is the key for me as well (R&D). Once that fades away, any repeat jobs become boring and are no longer soothing for me. :sleepy: I am always eager for the next new project to solve. :)

Skooter,

I am so sorry for your loss. I lost my fad a couple years ago. We worked together for about 10 years and I learned so much from him. I still get a lump in my throat sometimes when I use his tools just like the one I am getting right now as I type this. Peace be with you brother.

Big B

Back