rpollard81 is offline Plastic

Default Which mill style is right for me?

Ok, I know this is almost an impossible question to answer, but I would like some feedback anyway.

I have always had an interest in machining. Recently, I purchased a 1943 Logan Model 200 lathe, and almost have it completely restored. Now, I find myself wanting to purchase a mill to compliment it.

I am trying to decide between a new, benchtop mill, such as an RF-45, or similar machine. Or, a used Bridgeport style vertical mill. It looks like I could get a decent Bridgeport for the cost of a new RF-45. However I don't think I will ever need a machine that big. I can't see myself making anything bigger than red brick or two. I just don't want to lose out on accuracy by buying a benchtop unit. Are the knee mills so much better in this regard, or is their main advantage in the size of the work that can be cut?

I really like the Precision Mathews machines, and I hear that the owner stands behind his products. How would this machine compare to the real Rong Fu? I also like the Syil X4 CNC Mill. Any machine that I purchase should accept a future CNC conversion relatively easily.

That brings up another question: Should I buy a manual mill that can be upgraded to CNC, or save up and get a full CNC package?

Any comments?

Milacron is online now Diamond

Sorry to lock your first post but...

Machinery Discussion Guidelines