What's new
What's new

Mill vise parallel retaining system- DIY

MushCreek

Aluminum
This is a system for holding vise parallels in place, rather than chasing them around and constantly taking them out to clean chips out from underneath. There is a commercially available system, at $1000 for a starter set. You can make them in your shop. In the past, I've had apprentices or new hires make them. I'm making this set for my current job, as I make multiple parts in a CNC, and I'm tired of jury-rigging springs or whatever.

You make new vise jaws of tool steel. There is a half a 30 degree dovetail at the bottom. A 'key' with a matching angle is bolted to a mill parallel, and fits in the jaw. A spring loaded ball plunger maintains pressure on the key yo keep it down and back against the jaw. I bought a cheap ($30) set of 1/8" vise parallels off of ebay. The system doesn't work well on the 1/2" or 5/8" parallels as they get cocked, so you need 8 pairs, or 16 keys total, and of course, two vise jaws. I'll have to add dimensions in my description, as I couldn't label angles in SketchUp.

As I said, the dovetail and keys have a 30 degree angle. I also put a 30 degree lead-in and blended a radius on each end of the key so they slide in easily. There is a 1/4-20 tapped hole in the middle of the jaw on a 10 degree (from vertical) angle. The spring loaded plunger is 1" long plus a 3/16" plunger, and has a maximum pressure of 13 lbs. They are available from McMaster or MSC. To drill and countersink the parallels, you'll need a carbide drill and countersink. The cheap Chinese parallels are pretty hard, and surprisingly accurate, too. I attach the keys with #5-40 flat-head screws. The jaws are dimensioned to fit a standard Kurt mill vise. I also added 1/4-20 tapped holes to each end of the stationary jaw for attaching a stop when needed.

The length of the keys isn't critical; my first set, I made them 4" long, but didn't have big enough material this time, so I made them 2-1/2" long. They function just the same, and could be even shorter. The jaws and keys are made from tool steel, which will be hardened. I'll grind the jaws, but there is no need to gring the keys if you get them reasonable smooth. I made the keys and parallels so that when installed, the key is about .010-.015 ABOVE the bottom of the parallel. That way, the parallel rests against the bottom of the vise without interference from the key.

Here's some pics-

IMG_4056.jpgIMG_4057.jpgIMG_4058.jpgIMG_4060.jpgIMG_4061.jpg

5 pics at a time, so here's more. I hope the SketchUp dwgs come through. The first two sketches are the jaws; the second two are of the keys. You can also make specialty parallels with notches ground in them for angles, such as holding a part at 45 degrees. If in doubt, make extra keys for future use. Of course, if you have multiple machines that will use these, make enough sets for everyone. As I said- good apprentice project.

IMG_4063.jpgJaw1.jpgJaw2.jpgKey1.jpgKey2-0.jpg

That's all well and good, but how do you know that the part is "seated" on the parallel if you can't check for movement?

Sorry, but that's what I was taught 100 years ago. When you put the part in the vise, check the parallels to make certain they are free. Then hit the part with a dead blow and check again. Both parallels should now be imovable.
JR

I always seat the part with a dead blow hammer. But when you take it out, and put the next one in, the parallels flop around and get chips under them. If you're only doing a couple parts, no big deal, but when you're running 10, or 100 or 1000 parts, these parallels are worth their weight in gold. I've been using them for over 30 years.

I had a box of old coil springs of all lengths by the machine. I just put a spring in-between the parallels to keep them apart. After that the obligatory bump with the hide hammer and you were good to go.

Regards Tyrone.

Going from the sublime to the ridiculous (but quite practical) retaining “system:”

For parallels only an inch or less apart just put a ball of paper, paper towel, or rag between them

Or for a more widely open vise, use good-sized rubber bands slipped over the parallel and its vise jaw.

Denis

Last edited:
I had a box of old coil springs of all lengths by the machine. I just put a spring in-between the parallels to keep them apart. After that the obligatory bump with the hide hammer and you were good to go.

die springs are great for this, strong and convenient....just have some long ones around and zip cut a pair off as needed.

Nice build MushCreek

Going from the sublime to the rediculous (but quite practical) retaining “system:”

For parallels only an inch or less apart just put a ball of paper, paper towel, or rag between them

Or for a more widely open vise, use good-sized rubber bands slipped over the parallel and its vise jaw.

Denis

another thing that works well is a piece of steel strapping band bent into a "Z" shape.

Curious.
How does this configuration compare to using step-jaws?
Are the step jaws that much less accurate?

I've been using step jaws lately and find them very convenient and easy to brush chips out etc. Then there is no need for the springs or parallel keepers. When parallel use is a must-- I like the Magkeepers Magnetic parallel keepers. But I only machine alum and stainless.

Nice professional looking solution.

Much nicer than my strapping keepers. Mine are just strapping bent to fit around both the moving jaw, and one for the fixed jaw. Will keep a parallel no matter the jaw opening size, and still allow you to check for wiggle.

Only problem I've ever had with them is the cleaning staff throwing them out because they were left out on a table lol. It's happened 3 times. Guess they look like garbage. The last pair I made I even engraved on them "Dan's, don't throw out". But I guess they couldn't read or something :rolleyes5:.

I've also got the springs, rubber bands, and strapping bent in a v shape, but find I like the ones that go around the jaws the best. To each their own. Would be a pretty boring world if we all did things the same.

When I set up parallels for batch work I usually put shorter 1/16 parallels between the main parallels and the jaws, so there is no corner for chips to settle.

These are beautifully made but they definitely engineer out some valuable flexibility relative to the springs and strapping.

Back