What's new
What's new

OT - Backup Battery - Series connections

JWaldo

Aluminum
I need to build a special battery pack out of some individual LiPO cells. The typical cell I am looking at is 3.7 volts, 2000 mAh, and 30 C.

If I understand correctly, the maximum discharge (30C) would allow this battery to discharge at 60,000 mAh or 60 Amps. (I understand for only a short time.)

This kind of current would usually require a very hefty wire of at least size 6, (or 8 for in chassis wiring) or a circuit board trace about 100mm wide.

Frankly, the little copper foil tabs coming out of the battery don’t look up to the task. Even if the foil were half a millimeter thick (which I doubt), it would have to be about 20mm wide, and maybe looks only 7.

I think it’s normal to size the interconnects between batteries for the max amperage draw, which I can do – I’m just worried that the connections coming out of the batteries aren’t up to the task.

I did find a reference that said that DC motors operate at 10% - 50% higher efficiencies that AC motors. Is this where the difference comes in? The battery leads aren’t 10% smaller than I would expect, but they would fall into the 50% smaller category.

Are battery connections up to the task of supplying the full max current drain? Did the manufacturer get it right? Or, are the connections a little on the marginal side?

Thanks,
Jim.

My Korean/Chinese/Japanese is worse than their English. You would think the universal language of engineering would work, but so far I have been unable to communicate specifically enough what I am after. You'd think, "Do the terminals support the full allowed discharge rate on your battery" would be a simple question.

Feedback I have so far is, 'they get hot', so some heat sinking will be in order. How hot can they get? No 'communication' yet.

Thanks,
Jim.

Back