What's new
What's new

Milling cutter for nylon blocks 7.25 in x 7.25 in x 2.12 thick

Pathfinder20

Plastic
Have been milling nylon blocks with 3 in 10 tooth hss shell mill.
Would like to get better surface finish. Taking .06 off of both
7.25 sq top and bottom surfaces, .125 off 4 sides. Not wanting to go over
3 in cutter. Make about 3000 blocks a year. Two different blocks are
smaller. Same cutting depths. Wanting cutter that uses inserts that's good
for nylon.

Thanks,

Pathfinder20

No contest the Ripper shell mill - RIPPER MILLS the inserts are razor sharp with a high rake etc etc etc and the tool gives a big bang for the buck.

FWIW that is Exkenna who is a PMer with a good rep on the site.

Ouch, those inserts at $9 per corner are spendy :eek:. At least my SEHT's have 4 corners each insert.

Regards.

Mike

True but they are a 90 deg edge and will do a ''pretty fair job'' of side milling, .........and with nylon the only time you'll damage an insert is by accident?

Sami the only time i find i ever index one of my alu style inserts is when i catch them on something too. They just go and go.

Finegrain, the ripper mills are worth the price especially if you want a internal corner. That said, like you for general faceing SEHT all the way, probably should not list what i bought the last box of 10 inserts for from cihna off ebay, but there nice fully polished alu spec inserts and its less than 2 of the ripper inserts for a box of 10 with 4 corners on each! if china wants to dump good crap like that, im all for it!

That said in nylon, even with a bridgeport you could go a lot lot bigger than a 3" cutter and easily do that job in just one pass, or go middle of the road and still do it in 2!

The Ripper was developed solely for ramping, pocketing and facing. SEHT only meant for a face mill.
The ripper is also available in end mill version, SEHT only for face mill.
That having been said.. SEHT great dirt cheap method for facing AL.
If it's cheap and works great, I like it :D

Back