What's new
What's new

Looking for a socket head capscrew with a threaded head

motion guru

Diamond
Anyone have any idea what I am talking about?

When I was a kid, my dad would haul home aluminum hydraulic manifolds that were stacked as many as 4 high with cartridge valves throughout.

Each manifold was about 3 inches thick by about 4 inches by about 8 inches. I am probably off a bit in dimensions as this was at least 30 years ago.

My job was to completely disassemble them, pull cartridge valves, dowel pins, funky socket head cap screws so that I had a pile of pure aluminum and another pile of pure steel. (actually 55 drums). These would be hauled into town for better scrap prices than could be had if they were steel / aluminum mixed.

Those socket head cap screws had long threaded heads. SO, you could screw a manifold to a base plate and then the heads of those socket head bolts were also threaded so you could screw another manifold on top of the first one by threading the next set of bolts into the heads of the first set of bolts.

I have searched high and low on the internet and found stud nuts that are close to the same thing but not the same. I have found patents that refer to the exact units I am talking about and a magazine article that also refers to it, but I cannot find a place that has them or sells them. :willy_nilly:

These are the stud nuts . . . the problem being, that they aren't suitable for threading into the hex tool opening which I need in the application I have.
sandstudrod_05_us.gif

http://www.sunhydraulics.com/cmsnet/partspp.aspx?lang_ID=1&Cat_Level_0=1&Cat_Level_1=2068&Cat_Level_2=2283&Cat_Level_3=2529&Cat_Level_4=2686&Model_Id=4154&Unit_Type=USUnits&actiontype=navigation&actiontext=&relatedtype=&fromModel=

The bolts that I remember had socket heads about an inch long that were the same dimensions as a standard socket head cap screw - they were threaded so that you could screw another bolt into it (through the hex opening) after you tightened it. You could theoretically screw as many bolts together as you wanted.

Anyone have any ideas?

Motion.

Is the application as critical as holding together a valve stack?

These probably aren’t close enough to what you want. But Stauff Hydraulics use a similar stacking bolt for there hydraulic line clamps. They come in a M6 thru M20 range. And you can buy them individually. Sorry, they don’t have the internal allen key hex. They are external AF Hex.

Take a look here at pages 6, 10 & 15, What they call an AF stacking bolt.

http://www.oilsolutions.com.au/stauff/StauffClamps.pdf

Regards Phil.

Phil,

That is pretty close to what I am looking for - and I might be able to make something like that work. The assembly I am building has tight tolerances around the bolt head and is assembled in sections - which is why I was hoping for the socket head cap screw version of this. All the same, this is a good start!

Thanks,

Ken

Ken.

Can I ask what kind of quantities you’re chasing? I’m thinking there would be 2 or more dozen guys in the CNC section that could knock those out easy enough, and give you exactly what you want. Any one with a sub spindle lathe and access to a rotary broach, the drilled and tapped hole in the female hex leads itself to easier making of the hex. Or EDM sink the hex in on smaller quantities. Your only knocking in the corners, so that should be fast.

ETD 150 or 4140 steel with some heat treat should give you a fastener close to a grade 8.

I think a commercial version of these is going to be really hard to find.

Regards Phil.

Somebody makes them commercially...........there are 8 in just about every Festo pneumatic cylinder made, as well as other pneumatic cylinders.

I went out to our surplus room and dug through a pile of cylinders and found a Festo unit - I could probably make these work and this gives me another angle to target my google searches. Thanks Tonytn32 and bob ward . . . I appreciate the help!

Back