What's new
What's new

Milling Machine dials come loose-Solutions?

Favorite fixes Anyone?

Depends on "loose, how?" Made easily removable, one of mine ("combo" nature of it..) .

Loctite is always suggested. For everything. Cooties included.

95/5 Tin/Antimony plumber's solder. "Lead free".. though Antimony ain't exactly virtuous.
Solid, no corrosive flux core, can be nipped and shaped and flattened, then stuffed into the damndest of places - even "tinned' or "sweated" on in a thin film, then shaped, to bind a loose shaft or threaded fasteners, etc.

Might be a bad idea, your needs. Even a very bad one.

But at least it ain't "LOCTITE!"

:)

Last edited:
Just the dial spinning loose when being turned. Dro is in the future.

Dumb and perhaps irrelevant, but as all of mine that are not hard-keyed and are MEANT to be releasable for convenient zero-ing to the op ... have knurled locking screws or flip-levers,

How are yours meant to operate?

More details on which machine, which axis, might find PM'ers who have the identical equipment.

Saves all of us wasted time, if so, no?

Is the dial dragging on the housing ? Or some end play in the lead screw bearings ? A shim between the dial and bearing is a easy fix for the first prob.

Bridgeport dials on the x-y axis that are tightened to hold only They don't always stay tight.

That is what I thought it might be. There are five pieces:

1. Remove jam nut.
2. Remove ball crank handle.
3. Remove dial lock nut.
4. Remove dial.
5. Remove dial holder.

What is exposed is the bearing retainer ring. Make sure the three allen heads on the ring are tight. Clean all parts.

6. Install dial holder.
7. Install dial.

There should be a slight clearance between the dial and the bearing bracket (cross feed or left/right).

8. Install dial lock nut and tighten down firm. The dial should be locked against the dial holder and the clearance between the dial and the bearing bracket should still exist.

9. Install ball crank and jam nut.

Note:
If you are not getting that clearance between the bearing bracket and the dial then revolutions of the ball crank will cause the dial lock nut to become loose. At this point I would remove the bearing bracket and investigate further.

Move this to the Bridgeport Mill Section.

Back