What's new
What's new

Mobil DTE oil question...

TexasTurnado

Hot Rolled
I see Mobil has both DTE medium and DTE-25 - what is the difference between the two? I am looking for a replacement for Teresso 47 and have seen DTE medium recommended, but not DTE-25.

Thanks for you comments....

Mobil DTE 24, 25 and 26 oils were developed to meet the requirements of modern high out put hydraulic pumps

Mobil DTE Oil (Named) constitutes a family of high quality, double inhibited oils designed for use in multifunctional reuse applications where long oil life is required. They are manufactured from highly refined turbine oil stocks blended with proper additives to produce a truly service balanced oil

From Mobil Brief Product Descriptions dated 1984

This may be confusing things a bit. Humble's Teresstic 47 is a cross to Mobil DTE Medium. This is a ISO 46 turbine oil and would work fine in your lathe.

Mobil's DTE 25 is also a ISO 46 oil but it a hydraulic oil. This would work fine in your machine as well. Both these products are found in gear sets as well as hydraulic systems. A ISO 46 oil is usually classified a 'heavy 10 weight' when trying to compare it to a automotive oil.

Stuart

OK, here we go again.

Terresso 47 is an old Esso designation for an R&O (rust and oxidation inhibited) circulating oil the equivalent viscosity is an ISO-46. This is considered to be a "hydraulic and general purpose" circulating oil.

Mobil DTE-medium is a direct cross to this oil.

The Mobil DTE numbered series is a high pressure, R&O circulating oil that has an added anti-wear additive. The high pressure oils generally have a agent in them to prevent foaming.

You can used DTE-25 in the place of DTE Medium. You'll generally spend more money doing so.
JR

Thanks for all the info....

Thanks for your replies and info. In this case it will be cheaper for me to use the DTE-25 as Enco has it and I just received a 10% off notice from them today with free shipping....:D For some reason, they have the other weights of DTE Light, etc, but not DTE medium.

BTW, the Enco codes are MRTN for 10% off and MRFS for free shipping, good thru 5/28/12.

Back