What's new
What's new

ot: Goodman AC unit experience?

i_r_machinist

Titanium
Pulling the trigger on a 5 ton Goodman ac unit for my insulated 1200 sqft shop. AC guy likes Goodman for the warranty. $3500 out the door.
Anyone have experience with these units?
thanks
i_r_

I Have had one (Gas-pack = Heating and cooling) on my house for over 15 years. Been running fine other than usual repairs (mostly on the heating part). Ignitor & exhaust vent motor which I replaced myself. FYI Goodman is made in your state. TX

Have a BIL who highly recommends and installs Goodman and that is what he installed for my home. Working great for over 5 years now. I believe Goodman's are made in Houston, but may have other plants elsewhere.

OBD37,
Yes, I plan to spoil myself for the rest of my life, if possible. I've moved 200 miles to go from a sweat shop in San Angelo, Texas, to an ac-ed shop in Stephenville,Texas, (which at that time was still on the "green" side of the state). The only thing I know about Oregon is that it is mountainous, forested, infested with Sasquatch hunters and people that grow primo weed.
Enjoy what you have.
Thanks for the quick responses
i_r_

I have had a goodman unit in my "little building", combo heat and ac for about 4 years now, or is it 5? Regardless have had some little issues like high wind blowing the flame out(once), a reset needing pushed on a board( couple of times) but all in all not bad, and I installed it myself. Bought it online rigged it in at about half the price the locals wanted and my butt is just as warm/ cool when in that building as if I'd have paid more. I am on my own on repair / support but I can live with that.

Mind - Virginia summers are nothing like Hell, let alone as bad as Texas, but that makes insulation all the more important.
Well worded. Take off everything behind the "Texas" and you could sell the phrase to the Virginia tourist board.

What is money for, if not to make the place you enjoy the most, a hell of a lot more enjoyable?

thanks to all
i_r_

I have owned a Goodman heatpump for 7-8 years. I dont know for sure but was told that this brand is the only one still manufactured in this country.
Whether this is true I have no idea. The boss wanted relief so what was I to do? It was however the cheapest that we could find costwise, and I installed it myself.

I have had a Goodman on the house for over 10 years, one on my rental for 8 years, one on my shop for 12 years and a split unit on the wife's woman cave for 9 years.
All heat pumps.

Had to replace a cap at the rental last year.
By the way, it hit 107 today so they do get used.

Having air conditioning in Texas is not being spoiled, it is a necessity of life. Its the only thing that keeps this place from being a wasteland.

I have two on my rental property - a duplex. Installed 14 years ago, maybe 3 service calls total, none expensive. Downstairs is a gaspack (single unit outside) upstairs is a split system with a gas furnace. I'd buy the same units again.

Pulling the trigger on a 5 ton Goodman ac unit for my insulated 1200 sqft shop. AC guy likes Goodman for the warranty. $3500 out the door.
Anyone have experience with these units?
thanks
i_r_

I got five bids on the heat pump/AC unit for my house before choosing Lenox which is made in Texas over Trane which is also made in Texas. I believe these two are the top two brands for AC systems. I have gotten much larger units for industrial buildings that were Trane units. I got a bid from an installer that sold Goodman and the price from that one was higher for what I consider to be a lower quality than Trane and Lenox. I liked the Lenox over the Trane because it used a state of the art scroll compressor and the comparable top of the line Trane used dual piston compressors. One thought I have is that five tons on a 1200 sf space seems to be too much unless it isn't well insulated or you have a lot of air leaks or you have an unusual amount of heat generation. Too much air conditioning will result in humidity problems and likely there will be a tendency to rust as well as being uncomfortable such as living in a walk in refrigerator. Used 4 tons on 2800 sf with some shade trees. The experienced installer warned about too much air conditioning when replacing the existing four ton unit which was worn out. Heat pump saves money over electric heat.

Agree on 5 ton being too big. Bigger is not better, I believe the rule of thumb is 1 ton per 500 sqft.
I don't remember why but was told once by a very good heat/AC guy, I think it has to do with the air not turning over enough.

I R listen to what the guys are saying. I am down here in South Texas. Our new shop is 3600 sq. feet and I have 5 tons. Good insulation and 1 1/2 to 2 tons should be right. Good insulation is important for 2 reasons. One it will make the whole shop the same temp and the savings in electrical use. Over size units will not run long enough to lower the humidity. This will cause personal discomfort plus rust your tools. The unit does need to be large enough to cycle on and off. Most of your condensation runs out of the A coil when the fan turns off. If the fan does not turn off when the compressor is off you will put your condensation back in to the air.

Back