What's new
What's new

Modern replacement for Heald borematic 121

MotoX

Cast Iron
Just as the title says, I'm looking for a production replacement.

Our heald borematic 121 has run production everyday for longer than any of the current employees can remember. (35+ years)

For those who are not familiar with a borematic, it is a single axis, single spindle horizontal high production boring machine. Electric belt driven spindle, Hydraulic feed.
We run a range of parts with a simple but accurate bore(think bushings) usually in the 400 to 900 RPM range. Feeds are hydraulic but I would guess around .002-.006"/rev.

The footprint is approximately 5'L x 3'D x 4'H.I would like to keep this operation in the same area of the shop so size is important. There's not a boatload of room.

Ive been looking for options for another in the same category with no success. Seems like no matter what i google, I come up with huge HBMs. Surely someone makes something of this nature still? Maybe I'm using the wrong search terms? IS there another name for this type of machine?

Although this machine is still in production, it is starting to show many signs of its age. If i were to loose operation of this machine, my whole production line will halt.

If someone has bought something similar, or has an idea to use another type of machine in it's place, I'm all ears. Or obtaining another in good condition is a possibility as well.

We don't have time to rebuild this entire machine, but sending it off to a rebuilder is not out of the realm of possibilities. I would like to avoid the unknown downtime. I would rather just buy a new one.

Ideally would like the same thing just ballscrew and servo fed with a simple control.

Thanks,
MotoX

I was thinking this company might be able to help you with one of their off the shelf machines or they could build you a special one using a boring head. I have rebuilt the over the years and would be interested in helping you rebuild yours if you want to go that way. I taught these guys to scrape, so be sure to tell them I gave you the lead. They are located in Marshall, MO USA Rich.
Eldorado M3 Gundrilling Machines | Kays Engineering

Lee Stevens Machinery in Wixon, MI was a big dealer in used and rebuilt Healds and ExCellO bormatics.

Are you just doing a straight through single end bore or is there more to the hole?

Sorry for the delayed response, but i just got slammed with work right after i started the thread.

Thanks Richard for the suggestion, i will call them and see what they have to offer. Any idea of a roundabout worst case scenario price for a complete rebuild? not looking for a quote, just an idea. 20K? 50K? More?

Moonlight,
I saw that the other day. i like that idea we may buy that even if we don't use it immediately. Having a spare/rebuilt would be invaluable i think. I would like for seamless transition from one machine to the next but i don't think that will happen as our 121 is quite a bit different. Someone correct me if i'm wrong here but this seems to be common between heald machines of the same model number. Could be just a year difference, but i would have to see it in person to know for sure.

J-Head,
Thanks for the link i will give them a call today.

gbent,
Thanks i will look them up. The feature is just a simple bore, typically with a ±.00025" tolerance. Nothing fancy.

Thanks,
MotoX

Last edited:
Why limit yourself to a single spindle? You can drill or rough left and finish right with a double end, or do two parts at once with a two spindle, or both.

If and when you go look at a 2nd machine or have yours rebuilt A very simple test you can make on a Borematic is to set a precision level .0005/12" on the table long-ways when the table is centered and then feed it left and right slowly and watch the bubble it should not move. Then flip it 90 deg and do the same. Or have 2 levels. Those machines need to be scraped a little concave on the base so when the table feeds out over the end of the base and sags the table axis does not move. So if the base is a little concave as it feeds out moving up slightly and sags the axis line stays the same. I used to scrape them during classes at GM Toledo and I was told those machines were better then new as far as tolerance on bores.
Rich If you buy a used machine and have a good maintenance dept, I could come and teach them to scrape and rebuild your machines. Rich

PS: I checked where Enid is and I will be driving down 35 next week on the way to Navasota, TX where I will be teaching a class from the 17-21 and then I'll be driving up to Nowata OK where I will be doing some work for a week. I could probably stop by and take a look at what you have. PM me

Back