What's new
What's new

Modular Boring Head trouble disassembling

Kazam

Plastic
Hi all,
I'm having trouble removing an Iscar ITS boring head from a milling machine taper.

As Iscar manufactures this it is a modular system with different extensions

i have loosened the main anchoring grub screw , reefed on the damn thing in a manual lathe in low gear and hefty sized stilson wrench:crazy: with liberal amounts of WD40, my next step will be to use an oxy torch, any thoughts

cheers
Kazam

Hi all,
I'm having trouble removing an Iscar ITS boring head from a milling machine taper.

As Iscar manufactures this it is a modular system with different extensions

i have loosened the main anchoring grub screw , reefed on the damn thing in a manual lathe in low gear and hefty sized stilson wrench:crazy: with liberal amounts of WD40, my next step will be to use an oxy torch, any thoughts

cheers
Kazam
usually if you got another boring head you can take apart easier its best to do so to see how it is designed. i would get the info from manufacturer on taking apart. sometimes its rust and sometimes it is a type of taper or something thats holding it together and you cannot see it when assembled.
i have used a dry ice freezer to get tool cold to help get apart. the temperature change helps loosen rust or loctite. why would somebody not use a anti seez compound ? not sure but loctite and even rust can be quite strong

Attachments

• Frozen.JPG
    Frozen.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 149
ITS-Bore tools are made by D'Andrea and rebadged by Iscar.

The connection is D'Andrea MHD. It is a plain diameter with a shallow face taper shoulder. The screw is a three piece affair that jacks outwards from both sides as you tighten it. It is centre-retained so that it expands equally out either side. It has conical ends that jack out into tapered holes in the female side of the connection and pull the male part onto the taper for location. The plain diameter is a close sliding fit normally, and the taper is far too shallow to get stuck on.

If someone had seriously overtightened the screw it may have gotten stuck in one side and broken the centre retaining mechanism. This would be easily visible on the screw side, but since there is no through hole on the opposite side it might be difficult to tell.

These are very high precision tools - I have to admit the thought of a stilson being employed here makes me cringe, let alone heating it with a torch...

ITS-Bore tools are made by D'Andrea and rebadged by Iscar.

The connection is D'Andrea MHD. It is a plain diameter with a shallow face taper shoulder. The screw is a three piece affair that jacks outwards from both sides as you tighten it. It is centre-retained so that it expands equally out either side. It has conical ends that jack out into tapered holes in the female side of the connection and pull the male part onto the taper for location. The plain diameter is a close sliding fit normally, and the taper is far too shallow to get stuck on.

If someone had seriously overtightened the screw it may have gotten stuck in one side and broken the centre retaining mechanism. This would be easily visible on the screw side, but since there is no through hole on the opposite side it might be difficult to tell.

These are very high precision tools - I have to admit the thought of a stilson being employed here makes me cringe, let alone heating it with a torch...
i see stuff rusted solid cause no anti seez used every week. it can be quit strong.

sometimes parts coated with grease that gets old and dries out the grease acts like a glue and i have put parts submerged in solvent overnight and then they came apart easier. ultrasonic cleaner if you have one sometimes works too

Back