What's new
What's new

Monarchs That Aren't 10EEs

Johnny SolidWorks

Hot Rolled
So I understand that the Monarch 10EE has a reputation as being THE old lathe to have – in that they’re very accurate, reliable, etc.

In doing my research on Monarch, I actually discovered that headquarters is about an hour and a half away from me in Cortland, New York. This is well within the radius I typically drive for work, and I happen to currently work for a company that has an all Haas machine shop, but is potentially looking to expand.

What’s the general consensus on the new Monarch stuff?

Thanks!

Not in the same price range as the HAAS, and the last machine that I saw with their name (I made a fixture for it) was brought in from Chezeck land, is broke down more than up, and the company went under.

Not the same but may very well be related somehow - Im sure someone who knows the history will chime in. Paul

After I saw this I dug a little deeper - looks like this was a machine company that the "real" Monarch bought back in 1963. It looks like the Cortland, NY facility is where they manufacture CNC equipment exclusively.

Not in the same price range as the HAAS, and the last machine that I saw with their name (I made a fixture for it) was brought in from Chezeck land, is broke down more than up, and the company went under.

Doug - thanks for the info. It looks like this company has a pretty spotty history and has been bought and sold quite a bit. Seems strange to me that what I would think of as "big" machine companies get bought and sold and go under and come back to life so frequently.

Total side-track, but where abouts do you live, Engineer? I've been back to visit my grandparents (now dead) in Groton, very near Cortland. I love that part of the country.

I actually went through the same mental process once, before a visit back there. I thought, hey! that would be awesome to go visit Monarch. Then realized Oh- not the same thing. I still think it would be interesting to see, if they were willing to show you around.

You can still buy new Monarchs, if you have a huge pocketbook. Not all Monarch lathes that are around are really old, though for some machines, something made in the 70's or 80's is pretty old. To me, the way a Monarch wears, that's still practically a newborn. They also seem to be distributors for Weiler and TOS lathes. Weiler has a good reputation based off of their older machines. The newer ones look rather... generic to me, but I'd bet that they are pretty high quality. This is all viewable on Monarch's website.

With regards to the 10EE being THE Monarch lathe to have, I don't think that is entirely true. There are some less common, but extremely desireable machines, such as the 1000EE, and the 13EE. But other machines like the Series 61 and 62 are also extremely good, and if one had the space and need... If I could only have one manual lathe, and had the space for it, the 62 would be very high on my list (personally).

Total side-track, but where abouts do you live, Engineer?

I'm about 30 minutes East of Rochester (hour West of Syracuse) - depending on how you look at it. I love this area for a lot of reasons, but New York is definitely not a business friendly state. I have some very good reasons to be here, otherwise we would have already made our exit.

We have a Monarch 610 that we purchased from Johnson Outboard in Milwaukee when the company was closing up shop. We really got two of them but when the rigger went to get them one was gone stolen by the employees. I think this is the finest engine lathe I have ever run. We have 8 CNC Mazak lathes and 6 Mazak mills but cranking out parts on the Monarch is such a joy.

So I understand that the Monarch 10EE has a reputation as being THE old lathe to have – in that they’re very accurate, reliable, etc.

removal of "old" would take your statement from a mildly irksome ignorant outsider muse to an entirely accurate mantra of the brotherhood. :)

removal of "old" would take your statement from a mildly irksome ignorant outsider muse to an entirely accurate mantra of the brotherhood. :)

Mcgyver - One of the things that I love about this trade is how passionate people are about what they do, and the machines they do it on. I was under the (incorrect) assumption that one of the reasons the 10EE is so beloved was due to the fact that you can't get them anymore (kind of like art being worth ten times as much once the artist is dead) - I was blown away when I went to the Monarch website and saw that they still make brand spanking new 10EEs. And it looks like they dodged the "Make it Worse by Trying to Make it Better" bullet too!

I'm working on getting past the ignorant outsider part, so please excuse my unintended insult. And thanks for the correction - enough of those and I might eventually reach the level of "New Guy" :)

I'm working on getting past the ignorant outsider part, so please excuse my unintended insult. And thanks for the correction - enough of those and I might eventually reach the level of "New Guy" :)

of course the smilie meant its largely tongue in cheek....economics and how long the model ran for means most are old...but I'll stick by assertion that its one of the best, old or new.

You're a smart man not be offended by the word 'ignorant'. To paraphrase Will Rogers, we're all ignorant of many things....only those ignorant of the word's use should be offended at its use :). compared to many here i too am ignorant of much of company and their products

I think the 10ee's made new would be to order or they also I believe rebuild old castings into new lathes. You'd have to think sales a pretty sparse though, rumor I heard was they were up around $100,000. Not matter how nice they are, its a very small target market that would pay that for a manual machine in the cnc era

Hey, you have to be willing to admit some degree of ignorance in order to be able to learn anything - and since I love to learn, I've gotten very comfortable with being ignorant :)

$100,000? :eek: That could be off by 50% and it would still be a crazy amount of money to spend on a manual lathe in my book. Kind of like buying one of those half a million dollar New/Old Jaguar E-Types: Eagle Speedster // Home

We have a Monarch 610 that we purchased from Johnson Outboard in Milwaukee when the company was closing up shop. We really got two of them but when the rigger went to get them one was gone stolen by the employees. I think this is the finest engine lathe I have ever run. We have 8 CNC Mazak lathes and 6 Mazak mills but cranking out parts on the Monarch is such a joy.

That made me google them. Greeeeaaat. One more thing to lust after. :)

On this extremely pedantic site, that's a very dangerous thing to say.

A 10EE would very unsuited for this kind of work
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/antique-machinery-history/photo-forge-lathe-301598/

Hey I learned a new word today!!!:

From Pedant - Definition and More from the Free Merriam-Webster Dictionary

Full Definition of PEDANT
obsolete : a male schoolteacher
a : one who makes a show of knowledge
b : one who is unimaginative or who unduly emphasizes minutiae in the presentation or use of knowledge
c : a formalist or precisionist in teaching

Gotta say that all these definitions often apply here on PM. Thanks alskdjfhg

Best Regards,
Bob

Here's an extremely brief history of Monarch Machine Tool/Monarch Sidney/Monarch Cortland and Monarch lathes. This is based on the work of John Legge who posts mostly on the Monarch forum here. Monarch Machine Tool started in Sidney Ohio in 1909. (Big leap forward here.) In 1963 Monarch Machine Tool bought the Edlund Machinery Co. of Cortland New York. This would become the Monarch Cortland Division, building vertical machining centers. Similarly the Sidney operation became the Monarch Sidney Division of the Monarch Machine Tool Company. In 1997 Monarch Machine Tool deemed that the Sidney Division was losing money. Fortunately Lucas Precision bought the Sidney Division which was renamed Monarch Lathes, L.P. This entity continues to support the Monarch lathe line including doing rebuilds and and building new 10EE's.
David

Last edited:
I have a 60/61 and wouldn't trade it for a 10ee I admit I've never ran a 10ee but I'm not sure one can take 1/4" passes off 1018 steel at 600 rpm with out the lathe grunting. Having said that diff lathes have diff purposes.

Back