What's new
What's new

Mori-Seiki MR2000 spindle drive spline - nearing failure.

motion guru

Diamond
We have an older Mori MR2000 2080 lathe that was purchased at auction several years ago. We went through it, repaired a number of things, and have been happy with it, but I have always thought that the spline drive for the spindle has been too loose and it has been getting looser and looser the more use it gets.

I took some time to look at it and now and thinking we better fix it before it breaks. (sorry no photos just yet)

The pulley looks to have a pressed in section that is mounted to a poorly made spline. It may well be that the previous owner cobbled this together. At any rate - my thought after looking at it is that we will need a new spline input shaft into the gearbox as well as the spline driver presently pressed into the pulley.

This looks like it was designed to house a slip clutch or ??? Right now it is solid driven and we will likely swap out the across the line reversing starters for a drive to allow smoother acceleration and automatic braking - but all the same, I'd like to know what was originally here.

Does anyone know the purpose of the spline? Why couldn't it have been a smooth shaft with taper lock? (unless there was indeed some kind of clutch plates originally used here)

Does anyone know the purpose of the spline? Why couldn't it have been a smooth shaft with taper lock? (unless there was indeed some kind of clutch plates originally used here)

G'day Motion.

I'm not familiar with that machine, but on the mention of a taper lock. Some thing just a little bit smarter are the double cone taper locking assemblies. Down here we call them a con-lock They don't require a key. In similar circumstances I've used them to remove a flogged out spline all together. If you were lucky and could bore the pulley. I don't even try to turn the male spline, as they are usually hardened. I take the splines off by cylindrical grinding.

Sorry the links to an Australian site, but I'm sure you can get them there. These are actually Italian. I think Martin might do a home grown (to you) version.

http://www.conbear.com/dc/file/MAV_Standard_Series.pdf

They have some impressive torque carrying capacities, and are backlash free. That might be an option if you can squeeze one into the root diameter of the input shaft, and the outer diameter into your pulley. It would tie it together nicely, with a drive up-grade.

Regards Phil.

I spoke with Tom - no clutch, just a replaceable hub with internal splines. Looks like we will be replacing the shaft and the hub rather than doing a farmer fix. . .

Pete - thanks for the heads up on Greer.

Back