What's new
What's new

Dorcia 150 Gear Oil?

ww_kayak

Aluminum
OK, I tried this in the Cincinnati forum last month, so I'll give it a try here where there's a few more people

I picked up this Hydrashift 15x42:

I'm cleaning it up and changing all the fluids before I start it. Searching the forum gave the following info:

Lube:

Milacron P-38 ~= ISO AW32 Hydraulic ~= Mobile DTE 24 (10W SSU-165)
Milacron P-55 ~= ISO AW46 Hydraulic ~= Mobile DTE 25 (20 SSU-238)
Milacron P-54 ~= ISO AW68 Hydraulic ~= Mobile DTE 26 (20 SSU-335)

Way / Spindle:

Milacron P-53 ~= Vactra #1 ~= ISO VG 32 ~= Vacuoline 1405
Milacron P-47 ~= Vactra #2 ~= ISO VG 68 ~= Vacuoline 1409 (tactifier)
Milacron P-50 ~= Vactra #4 ~= ISO VG 220 ~= Vacuoline 1419 (tactifier)

The one I can't find is a replacement for is the end gear oil which the manual recommends socony mobile dorcia 150. I've found a couple references to Mobil Dorcia Gear Lube 107, and Socony Gargoyle, but I'm still unsure what to use. NO, I'm not going to use WD-40!

Thanks,
Tom

Tom,

That lube is pre-1966. I looked through my stuff and nothing goes back that far. Do you have the Milacron "P" number for that? Most of those I can cross.
JR

Nope, that's the only one that has no P# :(
The Manual shows:
End Gearing = Socony Mobile Dorcia 150
End Bearings = P-55
Headstock Gearing = P-38

It then has another list of 20+ suppliers/product name for both the P-38 and P-55.

I guess I just need a some typical products used for "End Gearing".

Thanks

Are these the gears that run inside the housing cover on the far left, not in an oil bath?

If so, you just need some sticky gear oil or a light grease. I use a spray on product made by Lubriplate called "Gear Shield Extra Heavy".

Paul T.

Paul, I assume so. Thanks that's kinda what I figured. I guess I was more curious than concerned. Unless anybody knows why I shouldn't, I'll just use some light grease like the stuff you mentioned.

Tom,

If that is indeed for the open gearing on the headstock, the lubriplate is a good choice. About $15 on their website. Any alternative is Bel-Ray 6 in 1 lube. About $10 at most motorcycle shops.

Both of those lube are "high tac" lubricants. Not just any grease will work in this case. Most will just be slung off as the lathe runs.

I still haven't been able to find out much about the "Dorcia". I have found that it's either an ISO 150 or 220 lube of some sort. Evidently, a lot was sold to the railroads.
JR

150 oil

my search if i am not mistaking lead me to use motorcycle chain lube in spray or equivalent it is for the big gears on the outside that can be interchange for metric or standard threads ,for that area you need a taky grease or oil that remain on gears even on speed because that section is not into a bath of oil constantly , i have a 17 x54 much same has yours , if you ever need the original motor let me know

bye Roberto

What PaulT posted. Comes in an aerosol can, I bought at MSC. Sprays on "loose" but the carrier solvent evaporates making it tacky and sticky.

Keep the covers closed as it will have great affinity for chips.

Also...as tempting as it sounds, don't apply to the geartrain at high speed...stopped and let dry a little bit or extreme low speeds. Makes a fairly incredible mess...don't ask how I know this :skep:

Back