What's new
What's new

Morse taper to CAT 50 taper adapter

Dorsal Spine

Plastic
I'm trying to find an adapter with a male 5 Morse taper and a female CAT 50 taper. I'd like to be able to change the CAT 50 without having to take the whole thing out of the machine. A simple sleeve with a bolt to retain the CAT is easy but you would have to take the whole thing out of the Morse taper to remove the CAT tool holder. One of the other guys said back in the day they had an adapter that had a wedge system that would put pressure on the CAT 50 pull stud while the whole thing was still in the machine. Finding something like that is the trick.

The adaptor will be so long I question its value.

I know Erickson made #40 adaptors for #50 spindles that retained the tool via the flange rather than the pull stud. I don't know if they made that retention method in #50 or not. That method would shorten the assembly and tool changes only require a spanner.

You have to know the back end of the fifty is only a little less (1.56 and 1.75") than the front end of the MT5. Sure sounds LONG and WIMPY

I'm aware of the issues with the relative sizes of the various tapers. My main question is how to retain the CAT taper without removing the adapter from the machine to change tools.

I've been looking at Cat taper adapters for a long time. I have machines with 3 different tapers in my shop, so you can see my interest. I've never seen the Erickson setup you describe, but I'd sure be interested if someone has information.

The only 7/24 taper setup I know of that can be removed from the front is the Weldon QA50 quick change tooling - The master adapter fits NMTB50, the removable holders are the same size as CAT 45, but are held in with 2 socket head set screws. Stock CAT45 holders can be modified to work in the master adapter by milling 2 flats in it. You could scale that up to work with the CAT50 if that would suit your purposes.

I looked at a HBM once that was an MT5 spindle and had a 50 taper adapter. It was shop made, but that machine had done a lot of nice work over many years using that adapter.

The owner of that machine had put loads of work into it. Converted it from plain bearings to precision bearings, made a new spindle and oiling system for it. Then he made the MT5 to 50 adapter. I remember him saying how he wished he'd known better and made the new spindle for 50 taper from the start.

If it's an otherwise great machine it might not be terrible to make a new spindle for it.

Devlieg had Flash Change 50 like this -

$_1.JPG

But I haven't seen an adapter to accept these, the lock was built into the machine spindle.

The only 7/24 taper setup I know of that can be removed from the front is the Weldon QA50 quick change tooling.

I have two Bridgeport mills, one each with the Erickson Quick Change #30 and #40. Either takes toolholders that work in any NMTB (7/24 taper) spindle of the same size. Tool changes are accomplished with a spanner wrench on the nut on the end of the spindle.

I will try to dig out my 50/40 adapter and post a photo.

I have two Bridgeport mills, one each with the Erickson Quick Change #30 and #40. Either takes toolholders that work in any NMTB (7/24 taper) spindle of the same size. Tool changes are accomplished with a spanner wrench on the nut on the end of the spindle.

I've never been around one of those, did they make them in 50 also?

Would it make any sense to consider going to a Capto or Kennametal KM adapter, something that is sturdy and designed to be released from the front.

Thanks. I'd appreciate the photo showing how the nut is designed. We can manufacture the adapter, I'm trying not to reinvent the retention method.

Thanks. I'd appreciate the photo showing how the nut is designed. We can manufacture the adapter, I'm trying not to reinvent the retention method.

I've got a 5MT to 40 taper Flash Change adaptor in my Kearns HBM. Other than finding/making the tool holders it works fine, certainly fast to change over tooling.

Pretty sure I've seen a 50 taper version for sale on eBay at some point when I was searching for Flash Change tooling.

PDW

Here are the pictures. I bought it for my K&T so I wouldn't have to work so hard to change tools but I've never got around to acquiring the necessary Cat 40 holders.
Cat 50 to 40 adaptor.jpg Cat 50 to 40 adaptor 2.jpg

Dorsal,

Found this on ebay.

DeVlieg Adaptor 50.jpg

Shank is CAT 50 and receives a Flash Change 50.

Maybe cut off the CAT 50 and adapt your MT to it. Hope you have a way
of retaining the Morse taper in the spindle.

Chuck
Burbank, CA

Dorsal,

If the concept here is to hold a tool, then I would consider this Erickson Collet Chuck. (pic from an ebay ad.)

tg200 with shank.jpg

This has a 3" diameter shank which you could have ground to MT5. Chuck takes TG200 collets that are available in 1", 1.25", 1.5", 1.75", and 2" sizes. I recently picked up a full set from ebay, so collet availability is good.

Tool changes would be from the front and is quite straightforward. Seems like you would be able to get the tool closer to the spindle than a CAT 50 adaptor.

Just a thought.

Chuck
Burbank, CA

Back