What's new
What's new

Metal Prices: What's reasonable?

Anymouse

Aluminum
I am not certain I have the determination to check several different sights for comparing, say aluminum (same-same). Is there a rule-of-thumb to use when purchasing round stock, flat stock etc, in several different metals?

Is there a average dollar/pound cost or what?

OK, purchasing new from a store or website, assuming you have answered that portion of my question, what should I be paying per pound in the Texas area for scrap?

I really feel like I am hanging my you-know-what out in the breeze not knowing or even having a clue on metal pricing. I may be buying a piece of 3/4 cold rolled steel and pay $2.99 and think WOW...but realize you guys wouldn't touch it for more than ..59 cents.

I have got a clue!

Way back and long, long ago you could depend on prices staying the same for quite a while. Now you better check everyday.

When I want some metal I call a supplier and get new price for a full length and convert to price per foot and then I start calling some places that sell drops or cutoffs. If I can stand the price I buy the piece, if not I buy a bar, tag it with the price for future reff. and stick it in the rack.

I don't think you'll find any scrap yards that will sell you a piece anymore unless you find a small friendly yard.

Some alloys are just out of sight on price. :eek: :angry:

Today I paid $25 for 4' of 1" hex 1018. I didn't even check new because I don't want more than that.

There will be no correct answer. I pay $1/lb for 6061 and 7XXX aluminum drops at a downtown metal recycling center. Steel is .44 cents a pound for recycled, double that for new. Except for the peak last summer when aluminum was getting up to $1.50/LB, it has stayed pretty even around here.

My current prices (last couple of months) for recycled and drops, per pound

Steel 10-15c
Aluminum and Stainless $1-1.50
Brass $2-3
Copper $3-4

There is no answer to this question.

Metal prices are set globally, and can change hourly.

Bigger scrap yards have a computer constantly updating global prices, and can often change what they pay, and what they sell metal for more than once in a day.

Global prices for NEW aluminum, or steel, or brass, are based on buying 40,000lbs at a time, deliverable in London.

Obviously, nobody gets it delivered in London- so where you live affects prices a LOT.
If you live a mile down the road from an aluminum plant, you are probably gonna pay as much as a buck or two a pound less than somebody in Hawaii or Alaska.

But even small regional distances can affect prices for small quantities. I used to know a junk yard owner who personally drove a 40' truck 200 miles to deliver his scrap to a bigger yard. Obviously the price he paid for scrap was much less than the big yard in the big city- he had to pay for time and diesel.

Same thing applies for selling- if the nearest distributor is 200 miles from you, expect a deliver charge of $35 or $50 or $100 to be attached to every order.

Which brings us to volume.

Buy a cutoff, pay a lot.
Buy a 12' or 20' full length, depending on material (aluminum, stainless and copper alloys are usually 12 footers, mild steel usually 20 footers), pay less per pound.

Buy a 1000lbs, or 10,000lbs, expect price breaks per pound.

Many materials have different per pound prices depending on shape.
A commonly used shape, like 1/4" plate, is often much cheaper than an oddball shape.
Can be as much as double per pound.

I buy a fair amount of stainless steel- and the cheapest is round bar- which, on a given day, may be $2.25 a pound (theoretical- I dont know what it is today) but on that same day, a square bar might be $4.50 a pound. Square always costs more, in stainless. Its used less, so less economy of scale, and its harder to make accurately.

Similar price differences between different alloys of aluminum, and different shapes.

Prices can be slewed by what is used locally to you in quantity. A local plant might use 100 tons a year of some oddball shape, so your local guys get it cheaper, and stock it, but I might have to special order the same thing at 30% more.

The only answer is to call your local suppliers and ask for a quote. Compare quotes. And always buy in as big of orders as you can swing.
Big enough orders, and it can pay to order nationally- usually, when I am ordering more than a ton of material, shipping from San Francisco, or even the midwest, is less than local price differences, and I end up ordering some things from 1000 miles away or more.

Back