What's new
What's new

Motorcycle forks

I suspect it is shrink fit or simply Loctite sealed. I have a set of Buell 1125R forks in front of me, which are very similar to the XB forks in your reference. I see no fastener. Of course this begs the question, why? You may wish to post your query on the ultimate Buell reference website "Badweatherbikers.com"or to [email protected] or to local Harley dealer.

I would be very surprised if there isn't some form of positive retention there. I don't think there's any way in hell those are merely an interference fit or Loc-Tited. If you remove the axle there is almost certainly going to be a bolt or nut fastening the fork tube to the axle housing.

I would be very surprised if there isn't some form of positive retention there. I don't think there's any way in hell those are merely an interference fit or Loc-Tited. If you remove the axle there is almost certainly going to be a bolt or nut fastening the fork tube to the axle housing.

Prepare to be surprised........

I don't think so. Just did a few patent and YouTube searches and pretty much every modern fork I've seen is mechanically secured. Here is one example:

Removing USD Fork Tubes from Caliper Mounts (Stanchion) - YouTube

And another:

24-5 Suzuki GSXR 6 75 Inverted Fork Caliper Bracket/Mount Removal - YouTube

It would appear that the vast majority are fastened via threaded fork tubes, which are then either pinned or secured via locking set-screw. Since it's an area where they'd want to keep things as short (and as light) as possible that makes more sense than using a nut or bolt.

There normally mechanically affixed these days, has bugger all to do with liability and a lot more to do with fork tube replacment when you crash em!

^ Higher, days of yore bikes went a lot slower, a typical 1000cc would make sub 20 BHP pre war hence nothing like the impact velocities you see on modern bike crashes.

How are the outer fork tubes attached to the axle carrier is there a bolt or would it be a press fit?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telescopic_fork#/media/File:USD_Fork.jpg

On the Buell shown (which I have) this is the threaded side fork leg. It's a big hollow bolt with a long smooth cylindrical head and a large internal hex. The bolt head goes through the other fork leg slip fit, through the bearings slip fit, and into the threaded fork leg. tightening the bolt pulls the wheel against the threaded fork leg (with spacers between wheel and fork and bearings) the far side fork leg then has two clamp bolts to tighten up on the slip fit of the axle bolt head.

https://pinwallcycle.com/pinwall2/ebay/bike3876/564.jpg
http://www.badweatherbikers.com/buell/messages/32777/43217.jpg

There are of course many ways it's done... but you linked to the Buell picture.

I like Buells. We have 2. The XB is the only sport(y) bike that fits my 5'2" wife. At my 6'2" it's still amazingly comfortable.

He's not asking about the axle bud. The question was how are the fork tubes secured to the axle carrier/caliper bracket.

Axle carrier? What's that?

On all my motorbikes there are three critical fasteners.

1) Jesus nut on the end of the front axle. This serves to set up preload on the bearing/spacer stack inside the wheel.

2) Pinch bolts, two each that clamp on the two axle diameters left and right. The side with the jesus nut will be smaller
diameter than other side.

Assembly drill is: Slide axle in from large diameter side. Pass axle through the bearing stack in the center of the
wheel. There will be a spacer that needs to fit in between the wheel and the small diameter side, axle continues on through
this into and through the other fork. Nut goes on the end of this.

Tightening up the nut snug will bring the bearing preload close to correct. One interatively tightens the axle nut and the pinch
bolt on that side. Last step is torque the other side pinch bolt to spec.

Front motorbike wheels typically rely on the outboard spacer, and two inboard spacers (often these ride inside lip seals) to
bring the bearing stack to preload. The actual preload is set on the roller bearings by adjusting the difference between
inner and outer spacers in between the bearing pairs.

You're talking about the old school conventional fork setup. O.P. is asking about the newfangled upside down forks. Somewhat different setup in that area. Check the photo in the O.P.

You're talking about the old school conventional fork setup. O.P. is asking about the newfangled upside down forks. Somewhat different setup in that area. Check the photo in the O.P.

Ah like this one from the wikipedia page, rigth?

File:Bmw-telescopic.jpg - Wikipedia

Sorta looks like this one doesn't it - oh wait, it's the exact same bike!

Bmw.jpg

Funny story about tha bike, I bought it and realized the former owner was driving (two up, with his WIFE on the
back) without either of the pinch bolts on the forks!

Did not mean to ignore the question about sliders at the top forks. Those invariably have a pinch bolt or strap clamp
setup to fix the axles in place. Key here is that even on a fancy bike like that, the bearing stack inside the wheel needs
to be compressed. There will be some sort of axle nut equivalent and the axie itself must be held rigidly in between the
forks.

Modern MX stuff is threaded on... I can't speak for anything else as this is the only thing I have experience with. You have to heat them to remove them. Don't know if that is by design or just a reality of the exposure to the elements.

Back