What's new
What's new

Moving business to Puerto Rico, looking for equipment

yoshimitsuspeed

Plastic
We are moving our business to Puerto Rico and I figured it would be easier to find equipment there than to ship it there. I have heard of a lot of companies leaving and with the economic status I would have expected this would mean manufacturing equipment would be readily available and affordable but I haven't had much luck finding good sources. Ebay has almost nothing, Craigslist little more. Classificadosonline seems to have a couple things floating through from time to time but still not much.
Does anyone know of any online sites similar to these that might have more industrial and manufacturing equipment? Or where to find auctions in PR with that kind of stuff? Or any other resources?

We will be looking for a manual mill and lathe right off the bat. Probably one or two more shortly after and hopefully some CNC machines at some point. We would also be looking for a MIG and TIG and various other metalworking and fab equipment.

I just can't believe there aren't places for people to advertise and sell equipment like this over there.

Let me know if you know of anything
Thanks

We are moving our business to Puerto Rico and I figured it would be easier to find equipment there than to ship it there. I have heard of a lot of companies leaving and with the economic status I would have expected this would mean manufacturing equipment would be readily available and affordable but I haven't had much luck finding good sources. Ebay has almost nothing, Craigslist little more. Classificadosonline seems to have a couple things floating through from time to time but still not much.
Does anyone know of any online sites similar to these that might have more industrial and manufacturing equipment? Or where to find auctions in PR with that kind of stuff? Or any other resources?

We will be looking for a manual mill and lathe right off the bat. Probably one or two more shortly after and hopefully some CNC machines at some point. We would also be looking for a MIG and TIG and various other metalworking and fab equipment.

I just can't believe there aren't places for people to advertise and sell equipment like this over there.

Let me know if you know of anything
Thanks

not everything is online. i have seen places sell used machines and had hundreds of them where you drove in truck and overhead crane loaded machine on truck. none of it was online. you had to go to places to see. often machines had no power to turn on so hard to say condition of machine. big cities in industrial areas have more to choose from. you in the wrong part of town and you will not find what you are looking for.
some cities you ask taxi drivers maybe many taxi drivers to take you to areas with machine shops and machinist supplies. some countries the telephone book just about useless as they all say they sell stuff but often most really have very little in store. they just say they can get it for you in days to weeks.
really some places you find more asking taxi drivers especially ones that know city real good. new taxi drivers might not know what around. thats why often you have to take different taxi
some cities there are people who get stuff manufactured. literally guy who makes phone calls often with no shop equipment. he is just a guy who has contacts or know who to call. for a price that type of person can help you find machines too. like a realtor helping to find house to buy for a commission.

???
Amazing O. post.
It will be vastly easier and cheaper and better to buy the equipment in the usa, and ship it, than buy it over there.
Moving to Puerto Rico .. and You don´t seem too cognizant of challenges of operating in latin cultures of limited means/skills/infrastructure ??

There are endless challenges You will face, and many are huge, and totally non-existent in the usa or northern europe.
Suggest You re-calibrate, or hire someone to help who has done that, multiple times, and-or speaks spanish and lives in a spanish/latin country while doing manufacturing, importing, exporting, sourcing, mro.

P.R. or many other temperate countries or asian have lots to recommend them.
EASE of getting to manufacture stuff is not one.

Cheap is not one - to start up.
For someone new to this, in any commercially reasonable quantity, like a small jobshop of 1-2-3 people.

Plan on buying everything-usa, shipping, then add 10k, then add 10% to previous total.
Then add 20k to set-up costs, bare-shop only.
Then add 3-6 months in time, plus 20k, bare-shop only.

If You have endless time, and grit, and fluent spanish, and local contacts/relations free, then you can trade off most of the extra costs for (a lot) more time and lots of frustration.

Typical problems;
- logistics,
- Cannot buy/get inserts/tools/liquids like cutting fluids/lubricants/parts washer stuff/abrasives/tumbling media,anodising, sandblasting/coating/etc.,
- Cannot buy stuff off chinese sellers/amazon/ebay, easy and cheap.
- cannot rent forklifts, transport, major-part rigging, easily or cheaply,
- cannot get quotes, service, or delivery in timely manner and not at reasonable cost, for anything,
- vast nr. of issues will be eye-wateringly expensive.

E.
Getting a good electrical service for a shop, 3 manual machines => 10 kW, + shop + future == 20 kW power, +/-, may cost 30.000 - 50.000$ in permits/stuff, and 3-6 months in time.
Plus the parts, plus the work.
Often, only after the 3-6 months are up and you paid 30k++ for the electrical company/feeds etc.

Getting permits/licenses to do work may cost 1-5-10-20k, over time, even though it is mayhaps legally not necessary.
It is common for a new shop for expats to be held to ransom, via various mechanisms.

You may be audited upto 3 times in one month for workers, taxes, insurance, irs, health and safety.
This is common in many latin countries.
It is also common that no-one else in the area is audited for same - and (real) the goal is for You to hire a "recommended" paperwork-factory to sort-out the issues.
This is often a good and bad idea.

If You hire their "experts", audits often disappear, but You may not have your paperwork anymore, and the costs may escalate, with You not having docs or standing, anymore.

Water, waste, raw material, are all likely to be challenging.
How many suppliers for say steel are available in Your area ?
What are the logistics ?
Payment terms ?

Operating in such an environment can still be very rewarding - and it can even be easy, sometimes.

But that requires a *total willingness* to pay significant %% extras for lots of things, like multiple suppliers for logistics, material, paperwork, materials handling, finishing, shipping etc.

What You are unlikely to succeed at, is having us-style logistics, costs, ancillaries, and operational efficiencies in %/$/unit made, while running your own shop.
That has == 0.001% probability.

BUT having said all above, it is not very expensive to run loss-making logistics at local costs, aka Very Cheap, where everyone-needed likes You, and gets some profit from your operations (often tiny in $ terms, like 20-50-100-200$ / month per provider).

My post is re:commercial shops, that need 30-60k$/month in work to pay a few, 2-3, workers salaries, ancillaries, overhead etc.
A single-person shop of no real initial output, can start very small at low costs, esp. if the products are small of no real logistics/finishing/legal issues.

I did not mean to be negative- at all.
Rather, I tried to point out realities, of a commercial-financial nature, that You will encounter, probability 99.99%+

My neighbor moved there for a three year assignment. It took two years to get 240VAC electrical service. She had to bring her Dad, who is a licensed electrician, from the States to hook the new service to the panel. Regards, Clark

Just buy on the mainland and ship it down. When I lived in the USVI I used VI Cargo as a broker and all I had to do was go pick it up once it landed. Fees where reasonable. Very little comerce is conducted on line in the island's. I'd bet any machines you find for sale local will be junk.

Puerto Rico is not a Latin country. They are part of the US with the largest Latin culture per capita. At least they drive on the right side of the road.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

???
Amazing O. post.
It will be vastly easier and cheaper and better to buy the equipment in the usa, and ship it, than buy it over there....

For the benefit of readers from outside the USA, I will point out that Puerto Rico has been a United States territory since 1898. The people are USA citizens, they pay USA taxes, the mail service and postage rates are the same as the 50 states, and so on. But they do not get to vote in national elections. The main difference is that PR is a collection of islands, making transportation limited to sea and air. I think there is more Spanish than English spoken, but both are officially allowed.

Larry

GE has a lot of manufacturing on the island. The first thing I noticed when I went there is that all the doors and windows have bars on them. Often there are concrete or brick walls in front of buildings with broken glass embedded in them. Buildings that are not so protected will have break-ins. Electrical power is not always reliable. Food is great if you like a lot of garlic which I do. Was told to stay out of the mountains, drivings from say, Vega Alta to Ponce.

Tom

To the people giving general moving advice and not directly familiar with Puerto Rico I appreciate the effort but that is not what I am looking for.
As mentioned PR is part of the US. We have researched this quite a lot. There will be known hurdles like myself not being terribly fluent in Spanish but we are taking those into account. I am sure there will be unforseen hurdles and anyone who actually has personal experience directly related to PR your input would be welcome. But if you are going to make assumptions based on your views of the place without having spent much time there then I'm really not interested.
We are currently in Colorado. My two main steel suppliers are 1.5 and 2.5 hours drive away. On an island a third the size of our state there is probably 10 times more manufacturing, machining, aerospace, and much more. In a 2.5 hour drive I could find 8 steel suppliers, 10 machine shops and 6 drag strips. We are pretty well aware of most of the pros and cons of moving. We also know our business and how it would tie in. I am not worried about those things. I am not asking about those things.
If anyone has personal experience of where or how to find this type of equipment on the island I am very interested in learning anything I can.

For the benefit of readers from outside the USA, I will point out that Puerto Rico has been a United States territory since 1898. The people are USA citizens, they pay USA taxes, the mail service and postage rates are the same as the 50 states, and so on. But they do not get to vote in national elections. The main difference is that PR is a collection of islands, making transportation limited to sea and air. I think there is more Spanish than English spoken, but both are officially allowed.

Larry

Probably for the benefit of a lot of people within the US as well.

My neighbor moved there for a three year assignment. It took two years to get 240VAC electrical service. She had to bring her Dad, who is a licensed electrician, from the States to hook the new service to the panel. Regards, Clark

Thanks
Yeah we will be in a fairly large town in an industrial area. The space is supposed to be wired for what we need already and if it doesn't meet the requirements in our lease it will be voided and we will keep looking.

Probably for the benefit of a lot of people within the US as well.

Yeah...half of Erie is filled with trashy lowriders sporting
welfare moms with PR flags hanging from the rear view mirror.....:toetap:

Don't know why anyone want's to "swim upstream" to the source....

Just buy on the mainland and ship it down. When I lived in the USVI I used VI Cargo as a broker and all I had to do was go pick it up once it landed. Fees where reasonable. Very little comerce is conducted on line in the island's. I'd bet any machines you find for sale local will be junk.

Puerto Rico is not a Latin country. They are part of the US with the largest Latin culture per capita. At least they drive on the right side of the road.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

It is looking like I will have to do this with at least some stuff. It just seems like with so much manufacturing on the island and with so many businesses leaving in the recent past I would expect large warehouses full of equipment.
I have a couple shipping companies I work with but I will check out VI cargo.
Thanks

It just seems like with so much manufacturing on the island and with so many businesses leaving in the recent past I would expect large warehouses full of equipment.

I guess in 1-2 years time you'll find out why the companies are leaving....

BTW ever worked with Puerto Ricans? like New Yorkers except with 2x the attitude and 4x the BS.

I can't help you find equipment.

I have (2) coworkers in a different part of the mine from Puerto Rico, needless to say they're here working and not there for a reason...

Puerto Rico is not a Latin country. They are part of the US with the largest Latin culture per capita.

Mostly country and sovereign state are used interchangeably, however that is incorrect. A country is not the same as a sovergn state.....i.e. you can call Scotland a country but its not a sovereign state as you can call Puerto Rico a Latin country

For the benefit of readers from outside the USA, I will point out that Puerto Rico has been a United States territory since 1898

Perhaps, but you sure aren't in Kansas anymore. We have a customer there, part of a huge US firm with no credit issues, but we now insist on prepayment. Stuff just goes missing, and its their carrier of choice. It often takes a few tries before a package arrives with the goods in it instead of a log or rocks.

Last edited:
I've spent plenty of time in PR so first I would like to know how much time you have spent there?
If any time at all you would have found the machinery dealers and not be asking your question.

I second so many others sentiments. I have been there. I would not move there for anything...maybe if you are into solar or medical marijuana?? I do not fancy a business model based solely on tax (government) subsidies which is why major companies are there. I do appreciate the fine looking ladies at first glance though...but damn their egos could inflate a hot air balloon...more mirrors per capita than here by far.

We are currently in Colorado. My two main steel suppliers are 1.5 and 2.5 hours drive away. On an island a third the size of our state there is probably 10 times more manufacturing, machining, aerospace, and much more. In a 2.5 hour drive I could find 8 steel suppliers, 10 machine shops and 6 drag strips. We are pretty well aware of most of the pros and cons of moving. We also know our business and how it would tie in. I am not worried about those things. I am not asking about those things.
If anyone has personal experience of where or how to find this type of equipment on the island I am very interested in learning anything I can.

Whereabouts in CO are you? Are you selling equipment before you make the move to PR?

Back