What's new
What's new

Moving Hurco CNC Knee Mill/Tool Room Mill: Removed Head

Insert

Hot Rolled
I am looking to purchase a Hurco 5M mill, and its too tall to come through the door, so looking at options where to separate it.

I need to either remove the Spindle Motor, Z axis Servo, and then the Variable Drive, or just unbolt the whole over arm and remove everything one shot.

Removing the whole over arm, is the least work, I just worry about lifting it, and the CG being off. Also is there a chance when I bolt it back on the spindle will not be 100% trammed? Anyone know if there is anywhere to adjust it afterwards? Is there any adjustment at the actual spindle ?

How about removing the Motor, Z Axis drive, and Vari drive, is that fairly straightforward ?

Thanks

(picture is not actual machine)

Attachments

• 5m.jpg
    5m.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 267
How about through the roof?

How will you lift the bit you separate back on after the move?

What additional work (electronic, tramming) does breaking the machine entail?

If the door is too small do you actually have room for the machine on the other side?

Just playing devil's advocate, and wondering about the decision that was once made about the appropriate door size for the room behind.

How about removing the Motor, Z Axis drive, and Vari drive, is that fairly straightforward ?

Sure. Putting is back is the problem. I've also got a low door. It takes days to deal with that bullshit.

The vari drive is similar to any other knee mill- motor 1st then the gear case etc. If it has ASC, then that motor will need to come off as well to get the gear case off. Pulling the Z servo motor is just a few bolts. I would not split the machine where the turret bolts to the column unless you have a way to reattach that in the new location- or you need it to be that short. Any way you do it, it will be considerable work unless removing the spindle motor and the Z servo will get you low enough. Look in the manual and see which way the spindle speed needs to be moved to inorder to replace the belt- makes removing the spindlemotor much easier.

How about through the roof?

No !

How will you lift the bit you separate back on after the move?

With an A Frame Crane

What additional work (electronic, tramming) does breaking the machine entail?

Reconnect everything, and check the tramming.

If the door is too small do you actually have room for the machine on the other side?

Yes, or I wouldn't consider buying it.

Just playing devil's advocate, and wondering about the decision that was once made about the appropriate door size for the room behind.

Sure. Putting is back is the problem. I've also got a low door. It takes days to deal with that bullshit.

Thats pretty standard for a roof to be higher than a door

Back