What's new
What's new

MSC, how best to play their game?

DavidScott

Diamond
I am looking into getting a Tapmatic tapping head for my cnc mill. I am wanting to get a RDT25 head and BT30 tool holder that lists for around $1,650 so I want to shop around. I am not a fan of MSC but I figure a quote from them may be worth it, as well as my regular sources. What is the best way to play their game? Who would be the cheapest source for Tapmatic?

I know I have read posts about this but when I did a search for MSC but it came up blank.

I am looking into getting a Tapmatic tapping head for my cnc mill. I am wanting to get a RDT25 head and BT30 tool holder that lists for around $1,650 so I want to shop around. I am not a fan of MSC but I figure a quote from them may be worth it, as well as my regular sources. What is the best way to play their game? Who would be the cheapest source for Tapmatic?

I know I have read posts about this but when I did a search for MSC but it came up blank.

The best way to play that game is to shop elsewhere, Or bend over and grab your ankles.

Ok, smart ass comments aside. I am hoping to get a discount from something like a "personal rep" with them, had one years ago when an employee to give a decent quote then hopefully add a standard 30% discount. My main source for this stuff is Western Tool and I don't expect anything special from them. If I can't get new at a decent price then I will probably get a NCR 0A on Ebay.

Their list price is close to the manufacturer's suggested price. You used to have to have a rep at MSC to get a discount, now you can just ask the phone sales person for a discount even on small purchases and get it. We got a letter sometime back for up to 30% discount on online purchases and phone purchases. I have just mention the letter now.

Ok, smart ass comments aside.

Those aren't smart ass comments, those are comments that reflect reality..

MSC SUCKS!!! and I'm glad they suck, they forced me to go find suppliers that won't screw me.

I miss J&L.

Remember back in the day when you wouldn't think of buying a cutting tool from McMaster Carr because their prices were
OUTRAGEOUS on that stuff.. Now their prices look to be pretty darn cheap compared to MSC, and I'll now use them to grab an
emergency reamer or drill and the occasional onesy twosy endmill...

And in case I didn't mention it... Screw MSC!!

MSC SUCKS!!! and I'm glad they suck, they forced me to go find suppliers that won't screw me.

I miss J&L.

Remember back in the day when you wouldn't think of buying a cutting tool from McMaster Carr because their prices were
OUTRAGEOUS on that stuff.. Now their prices look to be pretty darn cheap compared to MSC, and I'll now use them to grab an
emergency reamer or drill and the occasional onesy twosy endmill...

And in case I didn't mention it... Screw MSC!!
Ok, so who are the better suppliers for this Tapmatic head? They need to be at least 30% off list to be considered. And while your at it I also need a source for the Titex and Guhring drills I get from MSC, which are the only things I buy from them.

Ok, so who are the better suppliers for this Tapmatic head? They need to be at least 30% off list to be considered. And while your at it I also need a source for the Titex and Guhring drills I get from MSC, which are the only things I buy from them.

Why are you asking us? Tapmatic will give you a list of dealers, once you have it start shopping. Titex and Gihring will do the same. I get mine from Tools For Industry in Dayton Ohio. Or Columbus Service Supply in Columbus Ohio. Their is lots of tooling dealers around here, None in Washington?

Ok, smart ass comments aside. I am hoping to get a discount from something like a "personal rep" with them, had one years ago when an employee to give a decent quote then hopefully add a standard 30% discount. My main source for this stuff is Western Tool and I don't expect anything special from them. If I can't get new at a decent price then I will probably get a NCR 0A on Ebay.

Well, I guess you're waiting for a unicorn to come and $#!T a big pile of money so it doesn't cost you as much, right?

Why not look for a used one on ebay if you don't want to spend the cost of new ?

There's no game with MSC, but as it would have it, today is Cyber Monday and you might be able to get up to 40% discount, per their email, see below. CYBER is the promo code.

Cheers,
Alan

-------------MSC email -------------------

Cyber Monday - Save up to 40% Sitewide. No Minimum Order. Plus Free Ground Shipping
Can't view this email? Click Here [links.em.mscdirect.com]
MSC Industrial Supply Company - Celebrating 75 Years of Success [links.em.mscdirect.com]
Cyber Monday - Save up to 40% Sitewide. No Minimum Order. Plus Free Ground Shipping [links.em.mscdirect.com]
Enter Promo Code: CYBER | Offer Valid 11/28/16
Featured Products
End Mills [links.em.mscdirect.com]
End Mills
Shop Now [links.em.mscdirect.com]
[div.jpg]
Material Handling [links.em.mscdirect.com]
Material Handling
[div.jpg]
Abrasives [links.em.mscdirect.com]
Abrasives
[div.jpg]
Safety [links.em.mscdirect.com]
Safety

Learn More [links.em.mscdirect.com]
Enter code CYBER in the promotional code box in the Shopping Cart when ordering online. Promotional price will be reflected at
Checkout.

-------------MSC email -------------------

I miss J&L.

If it makes you feal any better its the same story here in the Uk, J&L specials - promos generally were something to seriously consider. These days i can buy good coated carbide cutters for what MSC wants for crap uncoated HSS ones. I too go out of my way to avoid them. That said over here once they bought out J&L they sure opened the market up to the little guys. These days i currently use 3 or more diffrent suppliers due to cost reasons. I have no problems with special offer pricing but when you have to enter the right part number to get it not just find that item on there website its too much like hard work for me, all the more so when i can get better else were for less.

moonlight - I would like help weeding out the dealers that don't discount much since I will have to call for a quote on this one. If I just want a little off I could go to Western. As far as the drills go I haven't found another stocking distributor that accepts small orders. I don't spend enough on drills to really look, just not enough savings to warrant the work.

car2 - I used to buy coolant and way oil from Enco so I already got set up with the special # but never used it. I found my coolant on Amazon for 1/3 the price and free shipping.

Davis - I think it is but can't remember. I picked it out awhile ago but buying it then didn't work out and I ran the jobs with rigid tap. Now that the jobs are coming up again it is time to improve the way I do production tapping. My backup is to get a used NCR 0a which is a 1 to 1 head with a maximum speed of 3000 rpm. Kind of the old version of what I want but I have tapped a few million holes with them at my last employer and like them. I need to keep the head small/ short and only need a maximum tap size of a #10.

I agree with the comments. I go to Western Tool & Supply as a walk-in. Sometimes I ask "can you do any better" on expensive items.

When you buy your tool I suggest that you contact MSC and tell them about it. Maybe the jarheads will wise up. Greed is greed is greed.

moonlight - I would like help weeding out the dealers that don't discount much since I will have to call for a quote on this one. If I just want a little off I could go to Western. As far as the drills go I haven't found another stocking distributor that accepts small orders. I don't spend enough on drills to really look, just not enough savings to warrant the work

Both the small local dealers I listed in my post will sell 1 or how ever many you want.

When I worked for the last shop, we had a 25% discount off list price from the catalogs with MSC.
If I found a cheaper price for a product my MSC rep would match or beat it most times.
Biggest thing for us being a job shop is in most cases if I ordered before 3PM it would be at my door the next day.
Tristate and Oliver Vanhorn..not so much.

At the new shop I work for we are very small and just getting the machine shop side started so very low volume, the same rep came over and visited and before he left gave me a 20% discount on listed prices and a promise if I found something cheaper he would do his best to compete.
He does this to earn my business as we grow and he has.

You guys must have had some real shitty MSC reps.

I see no problem with the direct approach. Call them and tell them you are getting quotes. Ask if they want to submit one.

Some people will respond with a quote. Some will resent the fact that you are trying to get the best price. Some will not even respond. You lose nothing except 5 or 10 minutes of your time.

I do not believe in sharing the previous quotes with a vendor in situations like this. I had one bidding war going on once for my company's business for an item that was purchased on a recurring basis. The salesman kept asking me if one price after another would get him the business. I made the mistake of answering his questions. When he finally got to a number that I said yes to, he was amazed. I had already got the rock bottom price that was supposed to be for only the largest volume purchasers. The net result was that he was mad, his boss was mad, my boss was mad (go figure) and I got the price, but was not looked upon as a desirable person after that. From then on, I just said give me your best bid ONCE and ONLY ONCE and I will decide based on that. No disclosing of bidding information.

I bought ONE punk ass drill bit for $12 ONE TIME from MSC. That was enough to alert the dogs and I got several phone calls from the local rep while I was at work wanting to chat about how they can help streamline my business and maximize profits. Can't remember if I laughed at the rep or shit my pants.

I bought ONE punk ass drill bit for $12 ONE TIME from MSC. That was enough to alert the dogs and I got several phone calls from the local rep while I was at work wanting to chat about how they can help streamline my business and maximize profits. Can't remember if I laughed at the rep or shit my pants.

At least it wasn't Detroit Industrial Tools.

I get the automatic 30 % and they are still to high ! I Use McMaster, ten miles from shop and will call is available six days a week with convenient hours. Save myself from the aggravation !

Back