What's new
What's new

My first mill - Lagun FTV-1

Bigtalljv

Plastic
Well I finally got myself a mill, I grew tired of trying to do anything on a harbor freight mini mill and there didn’t seem to be much in between. So it’s in the garage, I rented a forklift to get it off the trailer. So on to the first of many many questions. Anybody have a manual for it? I really dont know what all the bits and pieces on the head do. Second my floor i. That location is uneven, any suggestions on shims? Do I need to bolt it into the floor? I can do that but don’t necessarily want to if I can help it. What else. I need oil for the head and Oiler system but I bet I can search that out. I have a thread in the appropriate place for getting it power. I guess you all just want some pictures now, here you go

ok, having trouble adding photo links. Here's the whole album

Mill - Google Photos

Thanks Ross,

I had to go with the M3 for the stud length. Thank you Amazon, be here in two days :-)

Jason

I've got an FTV-2. Get a DRO and a power drawbar and you'll be in heaven. Great little mills.

Lagun has anything you need, they are real easy to deal with. I'll check if I have the manual in a pdf at work tomorrow.

it's not new, early to mid-90s based on the DRO it came with. It is not very well used though. on the basic, set the dial indicator and push the table and quill around tests I got zero movement and I'm 320. unfortunately the DRO is broken, one of the scales was smashed and there are no replacements. I'm shopping for a new one. again unfortunately I have budget limitations so the fancy ones might be out.

You’re lucky it came with that phase converter, I see home shop machinists on this site asking for help with getting power to a mill or lathe.

Thanks Ross,

I had to go with the M3 for the stud length. Thank you Amazon, be here in two days :-)

Jason

Not to ruin your day with such nice mounts...

Are you going to have enough clearance underneath the base. The four bolt holes are practically adjacent to the vertical sides of the base. I don't mean clearance for the foot. I mean the larger washer piece with internal thread below the "washer" and "nut". The larger washer is not labeled but is at the end of the "L" dimension in the drawing.

I thought these would work for me. A horizontal triangular piece in each corner held by a long bolt in each of the four holes. The bottom of the plate would have a circular hole to locate the top of the foot.

DSC_0590.jpg

Ross, I guess I’ll find out, Amazon has a nice return policy :-) im a try it type of perso. I don’t know enough to think about it too much.

It didn’t actually come with a RPC, I found that locally on Craigslist the next day or so.

So I’m discovering issues. Things maybe I didn’t know looking at it. One of the x axis handles is tweaked. They have a gear ring in the handle so you can engage and disengage from the screw and that little ring gear is spinning in the handle. Not sure if that can be fixed or not.

Second issue is the power feed. I knew if was wonky when I got it. It’s rubbing teeth and catching now when it’s not powered. If I plug it in I get no change. Nothing to indicate it’s alive. It’s is, however, missing the little motor brush. Not sure how that effects function but I can hope for a minute. Assuming worst case is the power feed rebuildable? It’s a Lagun branded type 100 but I see another label that says it’s a Servo product.

I think what you bought might work with a long hex bar (4"-6") with a threaded hole. Thread it onto the threaded shaft attached to the foot. The n you would use a wrench from underneath to hold the hex bar while you turn the part extending through the hole in the mill base. Was that explanation clear?

Servo is good money. If it was me I would get a parts drawing and figure it out.

If you don't mind a piece of advice. Fix what is not working one part at a time until everything is correct. Then use the machine for a while and get to know it. Then if you decide to take it apart one day you won't have a hard time putting it back together again.

Second issue is the power feed. I knew if was wonky when I got it. It’s rubbing teeth and catching now when it’s not powered. If I plug it in I get no change. Nothing to indicate it’s alive. It’s is, however, missing the little motor brush. Not sure how that effects function but I can hope for a minute. Assuming worst case is the power feed rebuildable? It’s a Lagun branded type 100 but I see another label that says it’s a Servo product.
Servo is what you want. Give these guys a call. Bet they have the brushes and other parts.

Services

My boss went to an auction and picked up a Lagun that looked like it was never used for two grand. We LOVE this machine. My only complaint is the lever to switch from Hi gear to Low is exactly forehead height! Enjoy your machine.

Looks like a baby FT2. I've got a PDF for the FTV2 I could email, but you'd have to PM me your address and it'd need to handle a 5-10mb file.

On the side of the head is a little ball fitting, looks like a flat zerk that the information plate says I am supposed to object oil in there. What tool do I use to do that?

Thanks
Jason

You need a ball oiler like one of these.

https://www.grainger.com/product/38...9719!&ef_id=WiHG2gAAAbp33m1H:20180411161321:s

They are typically a PITA, you can put a clean cloth between the oiler and the ball to help, or file cuts in the nozzle of the oiler to let the oil pass. I've yet to find the perfect oiler, and I have 4 or 5 of them...

AW32 on the ball oiler, down the drawbar, and the oil cup on the side.
Regular way oil in the bijur. Vactra 2 or Vistac 68.
Moly grease on the back gear.

A wet machine is a happy machine. :)

I have the manual on pdf but it's too large to post. PM email addy and I will send to you if you don't already have it.

You should probably consider adding seismic restraints.

This can be as simple as a rope or chain tied from the top of the arm to a ceiling joist. It can be fairly loose just tight enough that it will not over center of gravity which may be as much as 40 degrees.
Bill D.

thanks all.

Bill, I'll look into that when I get it up and placed. Probably a good idea even though I live in a virtually earthquake free area of california, seems odd to say that.

Ross, the threaded part of the feet are too short, :-( They are impressive looking though. They should fit if I can come up with a solution. the corner of the base would rest on the platform support. Not sure if that's enough?

I sent an email to Servo at 9:45 one night and they responded 15 minutes later with a dead on answer. The left handle (ball crank?) was loose and that's what tensions the table and leadscrew with the power feed. with that loose the gears were not meshing properly.

So it turns out the handle is missing parts. on these there is a ring gear inside sandwiched by two bushings with a little spring in there so I assume you can engage and disengage the handle. one of those bushings is missing along with the spring and the ring gear looks to be spinning in there. I'll try Lagun tomorrow and see if they can help with parts otherwise I guess I need a working mill or lathe to fix my mill.

Jason

Back