Mcgyver is offline Stainless

Default mystery item; what might these tools be for?

cryptic headings are frowned on, but its a cryptic device. These shop made items were done as a set, with standard fractional dimensions stamped in them. thing is, none of their dimensions remotely equates to the stamped number

The pointy end is on a light spring; finger pressure easily pushes it inside the body. There is no mechanism for an automatic punch

They came out of a tool and die makers box

any ideas? thanks

77ironhead is offline Titanium

They look like shop-made tap guides for manually tapping holes in a bridgeport-type setup when you need the threads dead-nuts perpendicular

ktguy is offline Plastic

Default mystery tools

2nd what Ironhead said . Spring loaded center for hand tapping on a machine.

Mud
    Mud is offline Diamond

If they are, it's interesting that he made so many in small increments of diameter. One would normally be enough, unless he was trying to avoid changing collets. And why would you be using 1/2 and 5/8 etc. collets when drilling tap holes?

yeah, i don't think that's it because the diameters at the end don't match up with the stamped number, ie there is not a 5/8 dia on the 5/8 one..

dfw5914 is offline Stainless

Would the marked sizes correspond with the diameter of some point (most likely mid) along the tapered section?
    They could be alignment tools of some sort, used maybe to center an oversize hole in a thin plate or flange with another feature.

Question 1: Is the chamfer angle at the business end the same as the standard countersink screw head angle?

Question 2: Does the point disappear into the body when retracted, or can you made a punchmark by using the body like a slide hammer?

On Edit: Does the diameter of the business end correspond to the diameter of a countersunk screw of the diameter marked on the body? i.e. Is the diameter of the business end of the punch marked "1/2" equal to the diameter of a countersunk head on a 1/2" screw???

JRR
    Last edited by SouthBendModel34; 03-03-2010 at 05:08 PM. Reason: Added "on edit"

Ghost is offline Cast Iron

Is the diameter of the flat end the size of the drill for a taped hole of the stamped size? Could you drill the hole and put one in without changing collets?

awake is offline Stainless

Is it correct to assume that the set screw on the side will lock the point in place?

bbiggs is offline Plastic

Default I think those are transfer punches

They are obviously knurled to be hand held, and if my eyes are correct it appears that two have slight mushrooms on the head, apparently from hammer blows.

They apparently have replacable points.

JMHO

slnielsen is online now Hot Rolled

Maybe they came out of this place?

START- Hufnagel Werkzeuge

Best regards
    Søren

thruthefence is offline Titanium
    People's Democratic Republic of Louisiana

The ends where the retracting points appear to be chamfered, like a cutting edge. Maybe they are to precisely locate a hole to be punched in gasket material, or the like. Locate the center of the intended gasket hole, push down on the tool, retracting the pointed piece, strike the other end with a hammer.

thanks for all the ideas, I think SouthBend nailed it.... I checked the very short taper neat the point and it seems like its 82 and the short taper section would seem to fit a counter sunk cone relating to the stamped number....and the set screw does lock the point. I'm pretty sure they aren't factory to Hufnagels, crooked stamping + there's other stuff labled Haufnagel...he was a machinist or T&D maker who gave or sold the stuff to the estate i got it from.

countersunk transfer punches....for thin, countersunk pieces

thanks all for the help!