What's new
What's new

Nardini Lathe repair: carriage disassembly suggestions?

Cooperstock

Aluminum
Hello,
I am working on a 25160 Nardini lathe, it appears it has a stripped gear in the carriage for feeding the carriage when the half nut is engaged.
I have the owners manual but it doesn't do a good job of showing how things were assembled.
I attached a picture of the gear as seen through an access hole, and then a pic zoomed out a little.
It appears the shaft it is mounted on has a threaded hole in it...slide hammer to remove?
I have the machine drawings for this machine, I can attach pictures of the page referencing these parts if needed
Thank you
Davecarriagegear2.jpgcarriagegear1.jpg

Have you found a replacement part?

Sometimes these shafts are held in place by set screws in a spotted hole. Many times you will find two set screws, one on top of the other.

Thank you, I will take a look. I probed around in there and didn't feel anything but I will take a look with a bore-o-scope and see if there are any mechanical retention mechanisms.
I also attempted to contact Nardini and see if they have any sort of service manual, so fingers are crossed there.

Hello,
I am working on a 25160 Nardini lathe, it appears it has a stripped gear in the carriage for feeding the carriage when the half nut is engaged.
I submit you actually mean when the half-nuts are DISengaged. EG: the clutch(es) control power taken off by that worm and gear, not the 'arf-nuts.

If you cannot find Nardini-specific info, you'll have to tread carefully and do detective work as you go.

Certain Schaublins and Cazeneuve HBX-360"BC" have weirdly different carriages from other lathes. MOST other lathes are similar, as they do a similar job, and in much the same way.

Read all you can find about other lathe apron gearing and fasteners, and it will not be that hard to figure this one out.

For starters, don't expect to be able to repair it on-machine and "in place".

If you have not already done so, plan to extract the leadscrew, power surfacing driving shaft, and control rods, if any. "Drop" the apron free of the carriage onto to well-positioned supports. You'll need to aside it to a workbench so you can get all-around access. Good lifting gear recommended. They aren't make of styrofoam.

Hi Monarchist,
Thank you for the advice, I definitely do not want to cause any more damage. I figured asking the people here as well as the manufacturer was a good start before touching much of anything. I need to get my work area setup for tracking parts and moving/lifting the heavy parts.
On a different note, this gear is the only brass one I see in there, do you think it was designed to be a 'replaceable' failure point by being a softer material than the steel gears around it?

Hi Monarchist,
Thank you for the advice, I definitely do not want to cause any more damage. I figured asking the people here as well as the manufacturer was a good start before touching much of anything. I need to get my work area setup for tracking parts and moving/lifting the heavy parts.
On a different note, this gear is the only brass one I see in there, do you think it was designed to be a 'replaceable' failure point by being a softer material than the steel gears around it?

Bronze, not "Brass" almost certainly.

And no - the right Bronze working against steel or CI is FAR BETTER as to longevity than steel or CI on other steel or CI, amazingly strong, and waaay too costly to be positioned as the sacrificial element in any power train.

There 'should' be a far, far, cheaper shear pin somewhere back up towards the power source to protect all of that.

Look first for those at the left end of the leadscrew / surfacing drive shafting close to exit from the gearbox - where it can be readily replaced.

Good luck getting a service manual out of Nardini, let alone one in English!
If you do get one, please do let us know how.

metalmagpie

Back