What's new
What's new

Deep broaching

chopperguy

Aluminum
Can you broach thru' one side and turn over to the other side and broach that side.

I need a deep keyway which exceeds the cutting length recommended.

As long as it is lined up OK this should work shouldn't it ? :confused:

Thanks
Roger

One problem you may end up with is the last few teeths getting overfilled with chips that have nowhere to go.

Don't have a shaper? Can you drag it on the lathe?

The broach bushing should be at least as long as the bore you are broaching to avoid breaking the broach. Make a special long bushing with a deeper than normal slot for the broach, so that the first cut is not as deep as with the stock bushing. Then use shims that are thinner than the stock shim so that each pass of the broach is not as deep as normal. Do all the broaching from one end of the bore and press the broach completely through the bore on each pass. You may need a rectangular bar the size of the broach's top end to be able to press the broach the rest of the way through after it is flush with the top of the bushing.

Larry

Oh, well that shouldn't be any problem then. I thought that you meant the hole to be broached was longer then the broach.

The chips could still be peoblem if the cuts is long enough to make enough chips to fill the scalops in front of the teeth - I have heard that called choking the broach. On a broach the chips are trapped until they can fall out the other side.

just guessing cause I don't have my book so supppose the keyway is 5/8" and I don't think a 2 1/2 long cut is to much for a 5/8" broach. On broach's over 1/2" I usually start with a 1/4 or 3/8" broach to lessen the cutting load. I can tell you for sure that pushing a 5/8 or 3/4" broach is hard.

Back