What's new
What's new

OT Christmas Presents for Machinists?

Welding OP

Plastic
Any recommendations for good Christmas presents for machinists? This year I would like to get my father something that he would really enjoy but I don't know what that might be.

As we get older, vision aids become more useful. A classic for old machinists is the Starrett all-steel hammer No. 815 with the magnifying lens built in the head. They claim the first one was made as a gift for Mr. Starrett in his old age. List is $55, and they can be personalized, too.

A big stereo microscope on a boom stand would probably be welcome if your budget allows. A good ring lamp to go with it is very helpful.

Larry

That's pretty funny on the microscope. We have one at work and I just managed to snag an Olympus VMZ zoom on the Bay. Next day I found a ring lite cheap.

Wouldn't be without it now. You really cannot sharpen tools without one. A wonderful luxury tool.

Chris P

I'm not real old but one of my favorite shop things is the anti-fatigue mat in front of my lathe. It's black with yellow side bands. It was from Traver's tool but I forget the brand. The price was also one of the lowest but the mat has been very good. Under $50 for the 3' x 5' size.

Also around $50 are imported versions of the Luxo magnifier / circular fluorescent lamps. Luxo is in the $200 plus range but lasts forever. This can end up being used constantly.

Den

Back