What's new
What's new

Need a fine German drill press ? Just order it from.... Amazon ??

Milacron

Administrator
Staff member
I was vaguely interested in a Flott TB13+ that was "show special" at IMTS for aprox $4,800 including a table. So I call up Flottusa to find out what the model was (temporarily misplaced the flyer and couldn't remember), he tells me TB13+.... but then "sorry, can't sell at the show special now" While on the phone, Google the model and there it comes up on Amazon of all crazy places and for a $1,000 less* and with free shipping ! WTF ?

Flott TB 13+ Tabletop Model Drill Press 0.7 Horsepower, 220V Single Phase, Heavy duty steel with cast-iron base, 17": Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

*No table included...and it was a pretty nice table they had at IMTS....but still...

I'm not a big fan of plastic covers, but I don't think they look like c#@p either.

What's the problem here? I buy from or through Amazon all the time. Usually with their free shipping. They work in large volume and have a well oiled distribution network, so is it any surprise that they can sell things for less? My only complaint about them is the fees they charge to carry a product. Only the big boys can afford to sell there.

Seriously....why do modern machines, no matter how good, have to LOOK LIKE CRAP.

Seriously....why do modern machines, no matter how good, have to LOOK LIKE CRAP.
In the case of Flott's latest offerings, the word "goofy" comes to mind more so than "crap". Same deal with Alzmetall...their drill presses are now rectangular box heads. But not "all" modern machines look goofy....plenty of CNC's out there that look better than ever to me...even Haas...

The Flott looks interesting, but requiring a 220V outlet for .7 HP is a pain. I have to wonder what HP is left when you dial the VFD down to 40 RPM. Is there a step pulley to help with the speed reduction without losing HP?

I am often amazed at the industrial things I can buy on Amazon. I got some Boston gears a while back. Last week I found they sell Hardinge collets.

Larry

I am wondering what you mean by no table included- the amazon drill press seems to have exactly the same table as all of the models on the Flott german website. Was there an aftermarket rotary table or vise on the one you saw?

One item I bought there was $300, free shipping. Else where $350 + $75 shipping!

Yes, I'm astounded at what I can get from Amazon, plus their Prime gives you free 2 day shipping and free streaming of films and tv shows. Best part is it's almost always the best price I can find. Used to get bargains on ebay, but these days stuff there is usually WAY more expensive than Amazon.

After looking at that drill, can someone tell me why its worth so much?- Whats so special about it.
Good heavens it looks like it should be on Harbour Freight!
I've got an $18,000 German micro tapping machine so small it will fit in the trunk of a Honda Civic, you'd probably say the same thing about just glancing at a photo of it. Admitedly Flott is amazingly slack in explaining the charms of their machines. Crap that no one really cares about like how it won't restart once the power goes out, and then they neglect to point out how you can digitally set the depth, tapping reverse, etc. They do at least mention it is VFD controlled spindle.

One slight annoyance with that model is the B16 chuck mount taper. B16 is pretty standard in Europe but not so common here. Also, not sure how they expect one to go from drill holder to tap holder quickly with no internal morse taper.

If you look at the ad it says: "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com" and then further down it says: "This item will be visible when delivered. Sorry, we are unable to conceal it."
Usually it lists the actual retailer you are buying from.

Amazon obviously doesnt have these in stock. Amazon has become a sort of online broker. They are just a marketplace for retailers, manufacturers, distributers, etc. to sell their stuff. They have a deal with some tool distributer, he gets the his stuff to show up on Amazon and they get a cut.

It does seem surprising at first, but just today on NPR there was a story about how Amazon is essentially trying to have a hand in everything that sells online. They are even going to open some actual retail stores (dont know how they will decide what to stock).

I've got an $18,000 German micro tapping machine so small it will fit in the trunk of a Honda Civic, you'd probably say the same thing about just glancing at a photo of it. Admitedly Flott is amazingly slack in explaining the charms of their machines. Crap that no one really cares about like how it won't restart once the power goes out, and then they neglect to point out how you can digitally set the depth, tapping reverse, etc. They do at least mention it is VFD controlled spindle.

One slight annoyance with that model is the B16 chuck mount taper. B16 is pretty standard in Europe but not so common here. Also, not sure how they expect one to go from drill holder to tap holder quickly with no internal morse taper.
I guess what Im asking is it really worth the money and what else does it do other than drilling a hole?

If you look at the ad it says: "Ships from and sold by Amazon.com" and then further down it says: "This item will be visible when delivered. Sorry, we are unable to conceal it."
Usually it lists the actual retailer you are buying from.

Amazon obviously doesnt have these in stock. Amazon has become a sort of online broker. They are just a marketplace for retailers, manufacturers, distributers, etc. to sell their stuff. They have a deal with some tool distributer, he gets the his stuff to show up on Amazon and they get a cut.
They seem to just be out of that one right now. Check out below link for a different Flott... in stock, ships from Amazon.

WARNING- redlee, do not open this link as you will probably have a stroke when you see the price. Either that or run screaming into the night straight to your nearest HF store begging them to save you.

http://www.amazon.com/Flott-Tableto...=1414113701&sr=1-1&keywords=flott+drill+press

"Speed range of 40-4,000 RPM with use of variable-frequency drive"
This doesn't fill me with confidence that the VFD is included.
More German translation issues or slack copy writing... VFD is included....I've seen and run it in real life at IMTS last month.

They seem to just be out of that one right now. Check out below link for a different Flott... in stock, ships from Amazon.

WARNING- redlee, do not open this link as you will probably have a stroke when you see the price. Either that or run screaming into the night straight to your nearest HF store begging them to save you.

http://www.amazon.com/Flott-Tableto...=1414113701&sr=1-1&keywords=flott+drill+press

Criminy!!! What the %^&* makes it worth that? Someone please tell me!
Building Rolexes?

Unknown.jpg

Criminy!!! What the %^&* makes it worth that? Someone please tell me!
Building Rolexes?

View attachment 120144

Mate you've asked the same ignorant question 3 times now. It drills holes, get over it and move on. Just like a Hardinge lathe is "just a lathe" and why would anyone want to spend that amount of money on a lathe when a Chinese POS 10" lathe can do "exactly the same". FFS :rolleyes5:

I "owned" a Flott for a very short period of time, the worst decision I made was to sell that rather than keeping it. Of all the fancy machines I've seen run, this was without doubt the sweetest sounding machine I've ever heard. it just hummed with precision. And yes, it is "just" a drill press. The guys in the tool room were justly proud of that machine, it sat amongst a sea of Schaublin/Aciera/VMC machines. Go figure.

They're still pig ugly however, no points for style I'm afraid, but hard to deduct any off a perfect score. I have no idea what the latest models are like, but if anything like the previous editions I'd recommend them in a heart beat.

Back