What's new
What's new

Need Help Figuring out if this Stands drill press is single phase or 3 phase.

aninchlow

Aluminum
Strands 1.jpgStrands 2.jpgStrands 3.jpg

Make: Strands
Model: C530/3
Serial number: 26202
Volt: 220
Amp: 4 2/5
Type: CS 30/3
HP: 1.3 1.6
Motor RPM: 1700/3400

Trying to figure out if this unit is a 3 phase or 1 phase unit. I've exhausted google and yahoo trying to find something like it to compare. Any Ideas? The "/3" makes me thing three phase but.... I'm not sure and what roughly it would be worth. Any help would be appreciated.

That will be a 3 phase machine. It does not show up very well in the pictures you posted, but if you go to the pictures in the original advertisement, you can see that there are 4 wires plus a ground (I guess bringing the neutral along powers the work light & contactor without having to go with a 220V devices or add a transformer).

So you are not buying it because it is 3 phase? That's nuts. That is a very good drill and single to 3 phase at that voltage and amperage is easy and cheap with a VFD. I have a Strands drill so I know what I am talking about. You will never find a single phase drill that can be compared to that one.

Who cares? If it is three phase that is better then single. At that horsepower you can get a 120 volt single phase input VFD and output 220 volt three phase.
This will give you variable speed, power brakes, instant reverse for about $150 or a litlte less if you have 240 volt single phase.
Bil lD.

here's a handy-dandy chart that gives guesstimated current draw of various motor types at assorted voltages

Electrical Motors - Full Load Currents

says a 1.5 hp single is 10 amps at 230v, a 3 phase is 5.2 amps at the same voltage.

3 phase isn't that hard to make. VFD is the fancy way to go, a static phase converter is the simple way. You get about 2/3 the horsepower with a static, and I don't think you can instant reverse with that. Rotary is another nice option but that makes more sense at higher power levels or for multiple 3 phase machines.

Strands use a two-speed motor. I have read that a VFD won't work for both speeds of the two-speed motor (happy to be corrected). However, being able to vary one motor speed, plus use the gearbox, you should still be able to cover the range.

The Strands motor is like a lot of Swedish drills, vertical shaft, "upside down" and built-in to the gearbox casing. Being a "special" motor, be careful. Moonlight machine, is your machine running a VFD?

We have a Strands 25 at work, it is an economical, light, basic model, well made, no problems over about 20 years. It doesn't have a quill stop directly on the quill, there might be one on the quill handle shaft, but it has never worked. Annoying. It doesn't have a measuring scale direct reading off the quill, it has a graduated collar on the quill handle. I don't care for either of the above, but it still drills holes. No power feed on ours, no big deal as it is mainly used with a drill chuck and we have a larger machine as well.

Strands use a two-speed motor. I have read that a VFD won't work for both speeds of the two-speed motor (happy to be corrected). However, being able to vary one motor speed, plus use the gearbox, you should still be able to cover the range.

The Strands motor is like a lot of Swedish drills, vertical shaft, "upside down" and built-in to the gearbox casing. Being a "special" motor, be careful. Moonlight machine, is your machine running a VFD?

We have a Strands 25 at work, it is an economical, light, basic model, well made, no problems over about 20 years. It doesn't have a quill stop directly on the quill, there might be one on the quill handle shaft, but it has never worked. Annoying. It doesn't have a measuring scale direct reading off the quill, it has a graduated collar on the quill handle. I don't care for either of the above, but it still drills holes. No power feed on ours, no big deal as it is mainly used with a drill chuck and we have a larger machine as well.

No VFD here, Mine is 460V. I run it off a RPC and a transformer. Mine has 12 gearbox speeds and a 2 speed motor. 4 power feed speeds. JT4 taper in the quill. A VFD should work but I wouldn't change motor speeds with the VFD powered up.

I don't know what style of 2 speed motor you have but some, like a Dahlander winding, will give full torque at half speed if you leave it on the high speed setting and vary the speed with the VFD. Of course, there is also the issue of using a motor not rated for VFD service.

Bill

You simply run 2 speed motor in high, With a VFD, can you vary speed in between hi and low...

No speed switches after VFD output, wire directly to motor high speed connections.

VFD provides motor protection.

As to not having motor rated for VFD service, simply do not run motor at extreme ends of rpm ranges.

3400 max ~1500 min, is what motor is already doing now...

If you don't plan on using every last drop of power, There are 1.5 hp VFD's out there, that will put 220 3phase out with 115 volt input...

Back