What's new
What's new

Things my Company buys

Deuce

Plastic
my company just bought me a 3" x 2" Kennametal face mill with 20 inserted teeth to work with aluminum castings i have given this tool the nickname of the beast i think they went over board with it just a bit but they said that when we used just a basic endmill on it it took about 31 passes to clean up the face of it its alittle ridiculous i think but hey im just a minion there.

But then we go to order inserts for it they only order 1 insert not 1 box just 1 im alittle confused at that

Never seen a rectangular face mill before.

Seems like they'd'a got at least 4 inserts eh? :confused:

----------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Largest amount of inserts any Kennametal Face Mill has as far as I ever seen in a catalog is 12. Hence my line of thinking that its not really a face mill. But I never really studied the Kennametal line (Sandvic's and Iscar's catalogs are in my bookshelf).

Dimitri

I know for sure that its Kennametal but what model i dont know the closest thing i have found on the Kennametal online site is a helical shell mill but the one i have has a 3/4" shank on it which seems odd to have something that big to have that small of a shank.

Deuce

From the point of view of an accountant, it would make perfect sense to offset the overspend on the holder by economising on inserts.

Or maybe they have a new baby, and figure that teeth arrive in their own sweet time, as the situation demands ....

If you swap the insert from one level to the next after each pass, and leave the z depth set, you will find that sidemilling will be quite feasible. ;-)

The pockets should last quite a while, too..... especially the ones reserved for wisdom teeth

I know for sure that its Kennametal but what model i dont know the closest thing i have found on the Kennametal online site is a helical shell mill but the one i have has a 3/4" shank on it which seems odd to have something that big to have that small of a shank.

Maybe they got it off Ebay from a guy in Hong Kong who swears that it's "genniuine Kennametal."

1 insert instead of 20 - I guess they figure you'll still do better than 31 passes.

At least they bought you something. I have to shut the machine down due to lack of consumables before my boss will order anything.

Man that is pretty bad...... that is one thing I couldn't ever complain about my last job. They would say find it, order it, and send the paper work. No questions asked.

Back