What's new
What's new

Need Help Identifying Older Clark Forklift!

Htamotorsports

Plastic
I recently purchased an older Clark forklift for use around the shop, loading scrap cars onto the trailers and what not. The seller told me that he thought it was a mid 80s but I highly doubt that seeing as how it needs the generator replaced. It has a 6cyl Flat head F227 Propane

Serial number is CT60204543 - When I research it, it comes up as a Tow tractor and not a lift, what also confuses me is that it doesn't look like the older 50s 60s or even 70s clarks I've found on google

here are some pics let me know what you guys think! I really appreciate it and this looks like a great site.

forklift1.jpg

forklift2.jpg

forklift3.jpg

forklift4.jpg

P.s. the machine runs great, just needs the generator rebuilt/replaced and a bit smokey, but nothing a bottle of lucas won't fix. thanks!

Last edited:
I'll buy this being mid-80s. We had an ancient gasoline fueled blinding yellow 2200lb Clark boxcar forklift at the museum and it was MUCH cruder than this one. Shifter handles had cast knobs on the levers, this one looks to have screw on plastic knobs. This is the two tone pale green/black paint with the smaller logo painted on. The logo was cut out of the steel engine bay door panels on the old one. Looks like it has a factory roll cage. The old one had a cage, but it didn't come with one, as the retrofit banged into the mast if you tilted all the way back. The cage on this one is even bent to clear the propane bottle.

We had two, the old Clark and a 1980 Allis Chalmers 4500lber. One had the lift controls on the dash and the other beside the seat. 99% sure the lift controls were on the dash on the Clark.

fork truck

On the right hand side where you climb on down a few inches on the flat of the frame you should find a number stamped in that is your ID number, when I had to find mine had to remove about 6 layers of paint and there it was, with that # you can find out all you'll need to know.

Thanks for the insight guys, yeah it doesnt look like that old of machine, but what throws me off is the generator, the clark dealer told me they stopped using those mid 60s and switched over to alternators, even he couldn't tell me much from the serial number he said he had to call it in to Clark HQ on monday. I'm stumped though, I can't find a place to rebuild the generator.

Serial number is CT60204543

I've got a 70's clark c500 forklift. It has an alternator not a generator, so what the dealer says about the generator is probably true.

I've got a 70's clark c500 forklift. It has an alternator not a generator, so what the dealer says about the generator is probably true.

edster, hows your lift truck look compared to mine?

It looks like clark didn't start putting cages on their lifts until 74 w/ the introduction of the "c" series. Maybe mine is some sort of hybrid? I definately don't think its from the 60s as all the literature and images of the ones from the 60's (utilitruck, clarklift, truckloader, carloader) look nothing like mine.

It looks similar. What is the weight capacity on your forklift? Mines 5500lbs. The dash is different, and you can't see the tilt cylinders on my truck. The cage also isn't bent for the propane bottle on mine. I've also got a 4 cylinder engine. Is yours a two speed? I had a friend with a forklift that looked like yours. I think it was an 8k lift with a two speed trans and a 6 cylinder.

I'm betting somebody, for some reason swapped that generator for the original alternator. Maybe the alt went out and somebody knew a guy with a junk forklift.... snagged the "alternator" (generator) and slapped in there. Your forklift just looks too modern to be that old.

Does it have Clark cast into the counterweight or are any of the parts labeled with Clark in any way? Even a 1955 built 2500 lb Clark forklift I junked out had Clark cast into the counterweight.

A quick trip thru 22 pages of forklifts on fleabay turned up nothing identical. That isn't to say someone hasn't done alittle modification on this one including repainting it. Yours could also be missing the metal plate that would go around the front of the dash area and cover the tilt cylinders.

As stated before you need to check the machine for a MODEL number. Also much better pictures would be nice and of all sides and dash, etc.

If I was guessing the age of your lift I would put it no newer than the 60's.

tim

I also bet it came with a alternator. For it does look newer than mid 70's. As stated eairlier the cage. Casting of Clark in the counter weight really does'nt mean much as a way of dating it mine is 1978 Clark and its cast in the weight. It also has a Cont engine in it and the alt is just your standard boy on top girl on bottom G.M. alternator.

Clark truck

While i cant vouch for the truck itself,the flat head CONTINENTAL,with generator, and ancient by-pass oil filter is not a product of the 1980s.If it runs good ,and does your work,
dont worry about the age.I would guess not later than 1950s,in the "engine room".
L.RUSS

The Continental F227 flathead is a common industrial engine used well in to the 80s in aircraft tugs, forlklifts, welders and other applications.

Bet it's an early to mid 70's C500, originally equipted with a generator. I have a 69 CFY20B that was the predecessor to this series, and that too originally had a generator, as confirmed by the line card supplied by clark. Is there a model and capacity tag/chart on the front above one of the tilt cylinders, probably painted over? I wouldn't bother with the generator, too easy to change over to a vastly superior and cheaper GM 10 SI alternator with built in regulator. That's what I did even though my generator was still working fine. Good luck. Jim Pic of mine

Attachments

• 050.jpg
    050.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 10,700
Bet it's an early to mid 70's C500, originally equipted with a generator. I have a 69 CFY20B that was the predecessor to this series, and that too originally had a generator, as confirmed by the line card supplied by clark. Is there a model and capacity tag/chart on the front above one of the tilt cylinders, probably painted over? I wouldn't bother with the generator, too easy to change over to a vastly superior and cheaper GM 10 SI alternator with built in regulator. That's what I did even though my generator was still working fine. Good luck. Jim Pic of mine

That looks very similar to mine! I want to change it to an alternator, but on the back of my generator theres a keyway that the power steering pump bolts to, so If I convert it over to an alternator I won't be able to hook up my powersteering :(, any ideas how to retrofit the power steering pump?

Sorry no, unless there is room to mount a stand alone PS pump. My PS works thru the main hyd system. Probably just easier to fix the generator then, probably just needs the armature turned and new brushes. Seem to remember needing to polarize the generator after install, but don't remember how. Hopefully someone will chime in or a google search should help. Good luck, Jim.

Alright so I picked up my new forklift a couple days ago, seller had the generator rebuilt so that issue is done with. She runs and performs GREAT, but smokes pretty bad as she warms up, the 2 middle plugs get pretty wet with oil. is engine removal in these things a pita? or should I just deal w/ the smoke and run her till she dies. I'd like to pull the motor and do a rebuild, as I see the F227 rebuild kits are fairly inexpensive.

Hello, I just bought what I believe to be a Clark Clipper. Serial number stamped on the right side is CL421124. Can anyone help me identify its true identity and year of manufacture?

Back