What's new
What's new

Need help sourcing micro-size titanium screws

Mooner

Aluminum
Anybody have a good source for tiny titanium screws? Would prefer to use off-the-shelf, but might need custom...

Specs needed:
Material: Grade 5 Ti
Thread: #00-90
Length: between .080-.125 (I'm flexible)
Head: as low as possible cheese or pan head
Drive: Torx T2

If available off the shelf, I'm willing to go metric... M1.2 with length between 2.5-3mm.

I have immediate need for qty 4,000 pcs - would be willing to order larger lot if the price is right...

Any vendor suggestions welcome.

Thanks!

The amazon part milland refers to is a screw machine part--not headed.
Torx drive is headed product, IOW, you're looking for a special 'special', custom ordered.

OP's mention of head height as low as possible, raises a flag:

Calculating the tensile stress area (cone shaped from torx recess bottom 'A'-major lobe dia. to
the under head radius) is a must-do item for internal torx recess parts, to ensure head torque/tensile/fatigue strength.
Calc's. done at Min. Material Condition.
One can play off torx drive size/depth vs. head height tolerances--to an extent; to create reliable parts.
The above applies to phillips/hex/spline, etc. internal drives-this is not exclusive to Torx.
The cone area needs to be greater than the thread tensile stress area or the unthreaded grip dia. area
by a factor of 1.2.

Bona-fide Torx licensees should have appropriate data to do so or can readily obtain from the Torx licensor.
Knock-off artists don't.....and don't care...even if the heads pop off.

[In a past life, I did torx product design for Camcar-Textron--the originator of the Torx drive.]

Last edited:
The amazon part milland refers to is a screw machine part--not headed.
Torx drive is headed product, IOW, you're looking for a special 'special', custom ordered.

You bring up helpful points, thanks. I would add that the part can be made on a screw machine (or Swiss) with the Torx drive cut using a rotary broach, as long as the depth/strength factors you brought up work. Not sure about costs for relatively small quantities on whether it's better to do these as a headed part or machined, that's worth getting some quotes in to find out. Either way, I'd expect it won't be super-cheap.

OP, let us know what you find out for pricing with whatever process you decide on.

OP's mention of head height as low as possible, raises a flag:

Calculating the tensile stress area (cone shaped from torx recess bottom 'A'-major lobe dia. to
the under head radius) is a must-do item for internal torx recess parts, to ensure head torque/tensile/fatigue strength.
Calc's. done at Min. Material Condition.
One can play off torx drive size/depth vs. head height tolerances--to an extent; to create reliable parts.
The above applies to phillips/hex/spline, etc. internal drives-this is not exclusive to Torx.
The cone area needs to be greater than the thread tensile stress area or the unthreaded grip dia. area
by a factor of 1.2.

Bona-fide Torx licensees should have appropriate data to do so or can readily obtain from the Torx licensor.
Knock-off artists don't.....and don't care...even if the heads pop off.

[In a past life, I did torx product design for Camcar-Textron--the originator of the Torx drive.]

I'm testing with Stainless Steel equivalent from McMaster... I can deal with the pan-head height as-is - but the application doesn't have a huge load, so I would be willing to take a slightly lower head even if it costs a little strength. I think being able to drive the fastener without striping out the Torx profile is going to be my biggest challenge to low head height.

Thanks all for your suggestions...

Back