What's new
What's new

Production Pipe Threading Machine?

TimD

Hot Rolled
I have a job that requires two pieces of 1-1/2" pipe each with a pipe thread on one end, one long and one short. I have an old Oster pipe threader that I mounted a Ridgid 815A die head on. The 815A is the self releasing style, I thought that would be better for production.

It never seemed like the best setup and recently we've been having some consistence issues with the turns to hand tight (I do have a proper gage). I've only run about 1000 threads thru the head and internally it still looks like new. I replaced the dies and that seemed to help a bit.

Anyone have any suggestions for a more production oriented method? Next run I'll likely put the short stubs on my CNC lathe but the longer one won't fit. I could spend even more time trying to diagnose my current setup but really it's too slow anyways. The manual chuck on the Oster is too slow.

The die head:
97075.jpg

Not my threader but same model:
bg_4239_1.jpg

IMO A thousand threads out of 1 set of dies is pushing your luck, especially in some of the crap that passes for steel pipe these days.

When the parts start to go out of guage, change the dies,.......... FYI they can be sharpened.

I'll have to look into the regrinding but I would really like to find a better machine for the job. I really think I'm asking to much of the Ridgid head.

On the plus side I think I found the problem with the head. I missed it the first time I took the head a part but there are slight divots worn into the scrolls for the dies. Basically the dies only want to sit in one spot. I guess it could still be used for 1" or 2" pipe but that doesn't help me :rolleyes5:

The PN is 40942 so I'll have to see about ordering a new one in the morning for the short term. Ultimately I need a better option though.

Tim

Last edited:
Tim,

McMaster also seems to know every aftermarket and replacement parts source for Rigid as well. Sometimes at substantially cheaper (ie almost affordable) prices. They almost managed to locate me jaws for my 50 year old chuck on my model 500.

-Jim

I checked my records and I've shipped about 400 units so that's about 800 1-1/2" pipe threads. The head and HSS dies were new. I think I'm just asking to much of the unit. The cam plate as it's called looks like it's just plain old cast iron, maybe it's a special brew? It seem pretty soft to me though. The new part is $146 which isn't so terrible but who wants to go through a couple of those a year.

Anyone have any experience with Rothenberger or Collins heads?

http://www.rothenbergertools.us/41-Threading_Die_Heads_&_Dies.html

A Landis 16F looks like it might be the Cadillac option:
http://www.landisthreadingsystems.com/ThreadCutting/stationary.htm#FALandmatic

IMHO R/berger is no better.

800 threads from new - I'd be on to Ridge Tool telling them what an unhappy bunny I am,............. it's worked well in the past for me.

I've no experience of Landis heads, but new they're gonna make Ridge tool look cheap:eek:

Before jumping off the deep end at Ridge tool, how fast (RPM) were you running those threads?

Well I talked to Ridgid's technical support. They said that was about all you could expect from the head. They didn't have an alternative I simple need to replace the cam plate. I was not overly impressed with the tech support. The jest was basically it's not a production machine....

I checked with McMaster they weren't able to even supply the Ridgid part. I did come across what appears to be Ridgid knock off:
Link

My old Oster is spinning 35 RPM but it slows as it gets close to depth, 30 RPM maybe.

I agree the Landis will probably be very expensive but I suspect it will be built more like a machine tool than a pipe wrench. Not that I have anything against pipe wrenchs, they have their purpose :)

I'm also talking to my customer about a possible redesign that may eliminate one pipe thread. It would add a weld but it may still be a better option.

Here is the solution http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1633120/pipe_threading_machine_video/ :D

How good of quality is the pipe you are threading??? The imported pipe we get here is shit, it usually isn't even round... The poor old threaders we have get a workout and we found you have to use the best cutting oil you can get otherwise you get nothing but problems with torn threads and other problems..

It's A500 pipe, which is about the lowest grade of structural pipe you can get. It's used for hand rails and such. We were going to use A53 but that has an enamel that powder coating doesn't like to stick too. That being said the pipe is coming from a mill in Chicago, don't know where the strip comes from though.

If the product stays with this design I would prefer an machine similar to your video over the maintenance/plumbing tool I'm using now. It looks like it's using a yoke actuated die head. I've seen similar machines but they seem to run north of 10k. I can buy a lot of cam plates for that.

Back