What's new
What's new

Monarch Lathe

burrbuster

Plastic
Hi Guys,

I have a 1941 Monarch 10EE lathe, and it has worked great up until now. We recently moved the lathe to a new location, but had no dings or drops or anything to speak of. When we powered the lathe back up, the spindle ran, but once force is applied to the spindle (i.e. cutting tool) the spindle stalls out, though the motor continues to run. Almost as if the spindle disengages when force is applied. We played around with the back gear/open gear switch, and are able to get it to run again, however the spindle still seems to disengage when a tool is applied to the spindle... Any thoughts or clues? Thanks,

FYI there is a Monarch specific forum - you'll get lots of help there.

I don't understand what you mean by the spindle disengages? Its a 41 which means round dial (I assume motor generator - unless the drive has been changed). The spindle is driven by a belt to the motor, there should be no disengagement unless the belt is slipping? motor stopped? or maybe a key sheared?

Again post all appropriate details to the the Monarch list.

Paul

A shot in the dark, but when you wired it back up, did you check for correct motor-generator rotation? (At the tailstock end of the lathe). There is a directional arrow cast into the housing.

If it's turning the wrong direction the DC current and voltage to the DC motor will probably be there, but be very weak. If the rotation is wrong you just have to swap any two of the three incoming leads at the disconnect switch.

The above of course assumes it still has the original drive.

Bob

Back