What's new
What's new

Need to source 42mm x 1 tap and die

helmbelly

Aluminum
Enco and Mcmaster only stock 42x 4.5 in their catalogs. I find that 42mm size comes in 1, 1.5, 2 and 4.5 pitch. I'm sure I need the 1 pitch, extremely fine.

Do you know of a good metric supplier?

I found foreign ones dirt cheap on ebay but would like to find a proper tool. Metric Screw and Tool in Wakefield Mass can custom order them at $400. They are good guys you can talk to on the phone so I thought I'd mention them for other metric searches y'all might have.

For me this might just be a one off use in delrin or aluminum so I have to find them in stock somewhere.

Thanks

A collapsible tap, IIRC the smallest model goes down to 1", so your 42 mm should
be do-able.

Check with small tools or quality chaser.

I called small tools spoke with Adam. Very good shop but again custom order $400. I could not get much info on collapsible taps, looks interesting but I want to keep it simple. I have machines a nice Seneca Falls lathe in highly servicable shape but am not a true machinist and making taps is not efficient for my skills. In other words I need to thread this part with a tap and die - not start learning to make taps and dies. Gotta pick my battles!

Why are you convinced you need such a fine thread? Preventing cross-threading could be tricky.

Sounds like M42 lens mount. Pretty common in older photography equipment.

Fair enough. In that case, how about buying threaded adapters (probably available) and bonding or pressing them into whatever he's building?

That should work if this is photography equipment...adapters cost maybe 3 usd per piece.

Good catch Mattij. M42 is a common lens mount standard. the part I'm making is to fit a customers hand grip to his Canon C series TV camera. So the 42mm makes sense after all- because I was like WHY would anyone mount a hand grip that way? But Canon has been manufacturing 42x1 threads for generations.

And Milland got the rest bam on. Threaded adaptors are all over the photog sites for a couple bucks each. I'll just but a couple and screw them on as the interface.

Thank you! Thank you!!

Now I dont even have to wait for shipping cheap asian taps (2 weeks) over. I can grab it all pre made in endless supply right here.

I do think its too bad the taps have to be custom made in the US and can be had for $12.99 in asia.

I am pretty new, going on 7 years now making small runs (25-50 pcs) of american made, mostly aluminum camera accessories. No CNC- all made on Bridgeport and some weird spanish mill by hand. Two asian companies directly copy my designs and sell them for .10 on the dollar. Oh man.

Re M42 I think Japanese camera manufacturers made that size into more of a pacific centric thing. it's just foreign to any uses here other than maybe a couple other camera support companies a lot like mine.

Altho Zeiss Germany began the standard 42x1 in the 1930's. It's a camera specific thread

Yes, the point was that the taps made in Asia will probably only be suitable for use in aluminum or Delrin. Quality taps in larger sizes are not available for $12.99 anywhere.

Quite how you tap 42mm x 1mm pitch I don't know, whatever the part is, it will take some gripping, as the torque load will be high and the thinner the part less grip available without distortion etc etc, .....not to mention getting a square start, the list is endless.

As far as I can see the Op hadn't come back with what machinery's available, but I would only consider a late or thread mill

For those not quite in the metric loop - no offense intended - you are looking at near enough a 1 5/8 x 25tpi

Hi Limy, OP here. I did reply above that I use a Seneca Falls 9" star lathe. It was my granddads first machine tool well over 100 yrs ago, he was a spring engineer and only used it at home in the cellar, it was next to my grammas twist clothes dryer!It is basically new old stock. Work holding is a good point but I can tap the socket first and reduce the surrounding meat afterwards.

Hey eKretz,

In my OP I said I use Mcmaster, I prefer american tooling generally- all my tap n dies are american- I'm in business and don't like making life any more frustrating than it already is!

This post was about where to find an American Made tap hoping to stay away from the 12.99 ebay stuff.

Hey eKretz,

In my OP I said I use Mcmaster, I prefer american tooling generally- all my tap n dies are american- I'm in business and don't like making life any more frustrating than it already is!

This post was about where to find an American Made tap hoping to stay away from the 12.99 ebay stuff.
Sounds like you need a better lathe with metric threading... in some parts of US you can get decent secondhand lathe with that 400 usd you would pay for one tap.

Mattij, That seems illogical. why retool my shop to provide capabilities I dont forsee needing- instead of just finding the right tool for the task?

Mattij, That seems illogical. why retool my shop to provide capabilities I dont forsee needing- instead of just finding the right tool for the task?

In that case buy the metric transposing gears for your present lathe, ...bound to be a stock off the shelf tooth size and profile, they will probably come to less than the cost of the single tap you want, and open up a whole range of thread pitches.

The subject of metric transposing gears and their use on imperial lathes has been covered many times on PM.

FWIW I've machined a lot of plastics to put food on the table, ….and in my experience going the tap route is courting disaster / disappointment.

Back