What's new
What's new

Need a worm and wheel made

rustytool

Stainless
I called Boston Gear and they told me "We don't do onesies and twosies".
So, Looking for another recommendation or a forum member who can and wants to do this.
They came out of a Studer cylindrical grinder.
The worm is double start and the wheel has 40 teeth.
The worm has an internal square key slot.
The wheel has a smooth Id bore as it is a sliding fit on the shaft using a clutch to engage and disengage it from the shaft.
I will send the worm and wheel to the person who does it so they can take all measurements directly from the originals.DSCN0516.jpg
Thanks,Greg.

I would normally offer to assist right away for a forum member, but we are buried for the next Eight to Ten weeks and simply do not have the time to fit it in. There are a few forum members that can assist you. If you do not find any love from one of them shortly, shoot me an email through the forum and I'll do what I can to assist.

What model Studer grinder is this off of?

Have you contacted United Grinding in Ohio?

It's the Type 1 I got from Dave Sicard.
I've contacted United Grinding and they are working with Studer to see if they can find a manual and any other documentation for it.

What's wrong with these? Normally a worm and wheel get replaced when one stops turning the other.

Is this a low backlash application or something?

The grinder was disassembled when I got it so I don't know how well it was turning.
The worm looks like it was half submerged in water for a few years.
The wheel has one side of the teeth worn down. You can see the part not worn at the bottom of the teeth.
The worm and wheel supply power to the table for mechanical traverse and wheel head in feed.DSCN0537.jpgDSCN0538.jpg

I was thinking about just putting it back together and see how well it works.
But I'm no expert.
What do you think ?
Try these or just get new ones made ?

Rustytool

may I just say, if it's ''poverty week'' ;) as long as you can get the pitch on a lathe, it often means altering the gear train ??? .... worm cutting is very little different from Acme thread screw cutting, and something like 4340 prehard will probably outlast you.

Rustytool

may I just say, if it's ''poverty week'' ;) as long as you can get the pitch on a lathe, it often means altering the gear train ??? .... worm cutting is very little different from Acme thread screw cutting, and something like 4340 prehard will probably outlast you.

Good idea.

Studer AG = German = Metric = Module gearing assumed:)

Who ever cuts the worm must have a machine that can cut any metric lead - and of course the cutting tools suited to that

For instance - Mod 3 has a CIRCULAR PITCH of 9.4248mm - and a two start worm with that profile has a LEAD of 18.85mm (note all multiples of PI)

Somewhat related 12 year old thread - I have asked for the "invisible" photos and will edit them in here - ON EDIT - sorry, no photos to acquire and edit in

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general-archive/making-worm-gear-set-87461/?highlight=worm

Last edited:
It's the Type 1 I got from Dave Sicard.
I've contacted United Grinding and they are working with Studer to see if they can find a manual and any other documentation for it.

I've got a catalog for the type 1 Studer send me your mailing address and I will copy it and get it sent off to you.

Here is a link to a manual for a Studer OB grinder. This is going to be very similar to your type 1. The difference between the two is the type 1 is slightly larger.
Studer OB manual 23MB.pdf - Google Drive

[email protected]

Rustytool- I can make these for you if you decide to go that way. One offs are never low cost, but there are a few options for the worm itself. Not many options on the worm wheel other than using the one you have or making a new one. Being metric is not an issue here.
Drop me a PM or e-mail me at [email protected] if you decide to proceed. One thing I will need from you is an exact center distance measured off the machine.
Dan

Rustytool- I can make these for you if you decide to go that way. One offs are never low cost, but there are a few options for the worm itself. Not many options on the worm wheel other than using the one you have or making a new one. Being metric is not an issue here.
Drop me a PM or e-mail me at [email protected] if you decide to proceed. One thing I will need from you is an exact center distance measured off the machine.
Dan

Dan, when faced with a repair like this is it possible to remake the worm at a slightly larger pitch diameter, then dress the gear down a little to clean the tooth forms? It might have lower life than the original configuration, but given the use would probably work fine.

Studer AG = German = Metric = Module gearing assumed:)
Who ever cuts the worm must have a machine that can cut any metric lead - and of course the cutting tools suited to that
For instance - Mod 3 has a CIRCULAR PITCH of 9.4248mm - and a two start worm with that profile has a LEAD of 18.85mm (note all multiples of PI)
Somewhat related 12 year old thread - I have asked for the "invisible" photos and will edit them in here
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general-archive/making-worm-gear-set-87461/?highlight=worm

I know exactly what thread that is. :drool5: I have been wanting to do that for gits and shiggles since I read his accounting of it, back then. :D I just want to do it once. :cool: That is a great thread, and great idea.

Back