What's new
What's new

Needing an Electrical Manual

thesaurian

Plastic
I have a Boerhinger D490 lathe that when it was moved to its current home experienced an electrical mishap. Some of the magic smoke in the cabinet disappeared in a puff when it was switched from 240v to 480v. The electrician feels he could better solve this problem with a manual, but I don't have one. Anyone able to help? I contacted MAG, who took over Boerhinger, they have nothing here, or in Europe for this machine.

Ideas? Hard to randomly pick parts for replacement and expect success. I live in a corner of the world where the countryside is peaceful, but experienced trades are hard to come by for this sort of thing.

This lathe is the exact one I ran when I was a junior apprentice, and is a workhorse. I'd love dearly to have it running!

I know there are lots of helpful individuals in this community site and I hope someone will help me!

Thanks in advance!

Yes, but I live 3 hrs from nearest city, and even there I'd be skeptical in finding someone. It seems like there is a multi tap transformer that might be the issue, but no idea how to properly test it🤔

Anyone else out there that maybe could offer advice, or shed some light?
Unfortunately, your title does not properly preclude your
request, hence low traffic.

I suggest "Boerhinger D490 lathe electrical help needed"
As a proper title.

Yes, but I live 3 hrs from nearest city, and even there I'd be skeptical in finding someone. It seems like there is a multi tap transformer that might be the issue, but no idea how to properly test it��

Most ofthe time... a transformer can be "documented" safely with use of a lower-voltage transformer and simple math, then "vetted" one or more times with progressively higher voltages.

Ex: Nominal 240 VAC transformer. Many taps.

Not likely to harm it - or run TOO much risk to yerself - if you power it off a TWENTY FOUR volt control / "doorbell" transformer. Attach, record meter readings. "Bump" the decimal point to multiply by ten. Draw yer own schematic ID'ing primary, secondary, taps, etc.

Once you are reasonably SURE which leads b'long to what, re-confirm with 120 VAC in. Double the output readings. See if they are a fair match to the 24 VAC data.

The rest should be obvious by now. By the time you connect to 240 VAC (or 480..) you NOW what MUST go where.

Not hard. Just tedious.

Unfortunately, I can't agree with Monarchist about mapping out the transformer. Besides, his mapping procedure assumes that the transformer is good. But you suspect it may be bad, so the mapping will not work. The defective coils will either show no Voltage if they are secondaries or will completely prevent the transformer form working at all if they are the primary.

The primary of that transformer should be a simple combination of two coils. Those two coils would be in series for 480 Volts and in parallel for 240 Volts. You seem to have an electrician already on the job and I doubt that any qualified electrician would have any trouble understanding that and getting it right. So, if he hooked up the transformer for the new Voltage, he probably got it right the first time.

So I am thinking you may have had some other problem, like some chips in the wrong place or some other place/component that the primary line Voltage goes to, in addition to the transformer, which also has to be converted to the new Voltage. Of course, if you did the rewiring and only brought the electrician in after the smoke, then all bets are off.

You had smoke. Smoke is often accompanied with some kind of charring or melting and I would look for that. A careful inspection may reveal a burnt area or component. If you find that, post a photo so we can see it. Other than that, you may have to trace the circuit yourself to see how it works. Draw the schematic as you go, wire by wire. Most wiring harnesses make this a real PITA, yes.

Perhaps some more symptoms would be helpful here. What exactly does happen when you power the machine up? Does it blow the breaker? Any smoke when it is not running? Does it run at all? Forward? Reverse? Different speeds? What other functions does it have? Lights? What? Can you use a Amprobe (AC current) meter to measure the current it is drawing when off and when on?

As for testing that transformer, that may be difficult if it did burn up. If a coil or two or three in it burned up, then you would need the original information (schematic with Voltage readings) to know if it is working correctly or not. And even if it is still good, how do you know the readings you get are the correct ones.

Unfortunately, I can't agree with Monarchist about mapping out the transformer. Besides, his mapping procedure assumes that the transformer is good. But you suspect it may be bad, so the mapping will not work. The defective coils will either show no Voltage if they are secondaries or will completely prevent the transformer form working at all if they are the primary.
Thanks for that! My landscaping effort a sea of MUD this morning, I needed a damned good laugh to start the day!

:)

"Assume good" my aching backside. One maps a transformer because one CAN NO LONGER safely "assume". Or it is a total stranger, unmarked, no nameplate nor useful numbering - eg: "undocumented".

"Mapping" with DC continuity and penciled notes, followed by a safer, reduced - but still "AC" voltage, will of course FIND those coils that are not what you "guessed" they were. Identify those that are functional or defective, and in what manner.

Measure the wire sizes, weigh the b***h, compare to KNOWN transformer pubs, one even gets a fair idea of its Ampacity, each side and VA/KVA working capacity. Ramp it up under load off a stout Variac (20 A here) and track the temp rise to confirm? You are back in business. ELSE known to NOT be so. But.. NOW aware what sort of replacement transformer must be sought.

That easy.

A gambling device nor random-number encryption engine the average transformer is neither of. Brute simple electromagnetically coupled @ ratio(s) "X (Y, Z, etc)" critter, rather.

So .. one should rather be guessing at "should be" and anal-izing "smoke"... or actually.. the hazy, fleeting MEMORY of "smoke"? And its byproducts? If any?

My turn to disagree, I'm afraid.

Transformer is right there in front of the OP, big as life, and at least as ugly until proven otherwise.

Back at Iron and Copper, rather than AIR... DC continuity and AC turns ratio tests are fast and easy - "JFW". They could - and SHOULD - already be DONE by now.

High potential tests want more test gear, but those, too, if/as/when/where a need is indicated, must also be done where the suspected truant Iron and Copper actually lives, not from a remote swivel chair.

JFDI and at least get the uncertainty over with... if not also the cost and pain.

It ain't hard. Just tedious.

Back