What's new
What's new

New Machine delivery lead times

Generic Default

Aluminum
I've been getting quotes for new VMCs in the 50 inch X travel range. None of the dealers can give me an accurate estimate about how long it will take from the time I sign the papers to the time it's on the shop floor ready to make chips. All I know for certain is that it takes roughly 20 days for a container ship to get from easy Asia to Long Beach port. BTW delivery will be to the LA area.

So I'm asking everyone on this forum who has ever bought a new machine. How long did it take?

Tell me the brand/manufacturer, model, how long it took, and any "hiccups" along the way.

When I bought my DNM5700 from Doosan they had a warehouse full of machines with their 'standard' build out ready to go. Time to me was literally shipping time, I think it took a week, plus waiting for a break in the riggers schedule.

When I said I might want the 60 tool changer instead of the 40 they said that had to come from S. Korea and would take an indeterminate amount of time but maybe a few months.

Never could nail that down so considering the large price uptick for the 60 changer and the extra time waiting I went with what they had on site at the LA warehouse. Also allowed me to get a MUCH better deal as they needed to get enough machines sold by the end of every month. This was with Ellison as the dealer.

Does a mill with a 50" travel come in a standard container ?

The ones I witnessed the installs of (about that size), all came in oversized metal crates.

Quotes that I got for okuma lathes, and particular doosan vtls ( not in stock) within the last 6 weeks had estimated lead times of up to 6 months. ...

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

4 to 6 months from Japan (Brother / Mazak and depending on specs and customization time could be longer) You should plan a minimum of 2 weeks just for US customs but I would allot 4 to be safe on my time line. It could be 2 days at customs, it could be 6 weeks, it just depends on how busy they are and what mood they are in and whether all the paperwork has the I's dotted and T's crossed and all the right codes in all the right places.

In the US, most Brother models are stocked locally by Yamazen in a variety of popular specifications with a lead time of 2-4 weeks depending upon end users location and options involved. If a machine is a special order spec that needs to come out of the factory in Japan, it will be longer lead time and would need to be quoted accordingly.

Ellison Technologies has stock of Doosan DNM 6700 (50” X) & DNM 750 (60” X) VMC’s.
Normally it’s 4-7 months order to receipt of machines from Doosan.
Some builders are now quoting over 9 months for machines.
Ellison has stock of lathes, VMC’s, HMC’s 5 axis mills.
BTW it’s 10 days on the water Korea to Long Beach
Deliveries are now being predicated by factory capacity (very high) and availability of components ie ballscrewa bearings linear rails etc

Just got one in to Haas with a ten week lead time. This included shipping to our local dealer. Apparently it takes a week to build it so most of that is in the build queue. Get ready for a hopefully amazing New Machine Day thread in September as this will be a challenging rigging project!

About 10 years ago I purchased a mill which was imported from across the Pacific. It was a new model for the importer and had a very attractive price. I am sure others were also selling similar models. I had to wait about a year for delivery. I suspect that it was not in stock, even at the factory and the importer's order had to wait in a cue for some time before the first part of it was made.

I got no real information on delivery time for the first 8 to 10 months of that time. Just that the order was still active. My credit card was not charged until a few days before delivery.

I've been getting quotes for new VMCs in the 50 inch X travel range. None of the dealers can give me an accurate estimate about how long it will take from the time I sign the papers to the time it's on the shop floor ready to make chips. All I know for certain is that it takes roughly 20 days for a container ship to get from easy Asia to Long Beach port. BTW delivery will be to the LA area.

So I'm asking everyone on this forum who has ever bought a new machine. How long did it take?

Tell me the brand/manufacturer, model, how long it took, and any "hiccups" along the way.

I know this isn't a mill, but it is still a recent ordering situation to think about.

We purchased a plasma table in late September/early October with an estimated lead time of 10-14 weeks. Bad weather in the part of the country where it was manufactured caused shipping delays on stuff used to make the machine, but they worked hard and had it done the first week of January updating us the entire time upon request.

But then the shipping company got involved. They brought it to within 2 hrs of our shop within a day or two of it leaving the manufacturer. But they decided to store it for over 2 weeks, all while telling us "today is the day". When they finally decided to send it the rest of the way, they did it on a holiday when we couldn't get a forklift operator to unload it (yay Union policies). Then they tried to deliver it the next day but got halfway here and mentioned that it was damaged. So, the machine had to go back to the manufacturer to be repaired (pretty much replaced based on the damage I saw). The whole time, the shipping company was harassing them to get paid for failure to deliver a shipment while damaging it along the way.

Eventually it got sorted out, but in the end the manufacturer can really only tell you when they think they can have it out of their hands. After that, the shipping company (or companies), customs, and riggers can all slow the process down. Plus once it arrives, you may have to have an electrician finish the installation and have it inspected. Maybe a service tech to do the initial setup and training (if required).

Ellison Technologies has stock of Doosan DNM 6700 (50” X) & DNM 750 (60” X) VMC’s.
Normally it’s 4-7 months order to receipt of machines from Doosan.
Some builders are now quoting over 9 months for machines.
Ellison has stock of lathes, VMC’s, HMC’s 5 axis mills.
BTW it’s 10 days on the water Korea to Long Beach
Deliveries are now being predicated by factory capacity (very high) and availability of components ie ballscrewa bearings linear rails etc

I hear ballscrew leadtimes are particularly long right now. I hear of 52+ week quotes for existing customers :(.

Back