What's new
What's new

New member and a biginner needs help

Nineandahalf

Plastic
Ok, Real new to this world and site. Hope I am in the right place to post this.Always wanted to turn and mill metal. Now recently retired and have the time to do so. I have a lot to learn so I am turning to you guys here. to start, I need some honest feedback from this forum to help me decide if the following is a good deal or not.

Enco 100-1599 9"X49" mill[/U][/B][/B][/B]
13X35" DRO kit ACU-Rite Micro-line 2AX
12 X 9 X 8 Accu-Pl web end Sl. Ang Pl.
X-axis power feed table
0-1/2 W/33JT Heavy duty drill chuck
R8 tpr. W/33JT drill chuck w/ threaded adaptor
13 pc. collet set (R-8)
10 piece Cobalt Boring bar 2" boring head package
Enco BF425-7281 8" swivel vise w/ lockdown.

Enco 110-1354 13" X 40" Gap bed lathe
13" X 40" deluxe cabinet stand
6X38 2 Axis turning ACU-RITE Microline DRO
1-1/2HP, 1800RPM USA Made motor.
These items were purchased in 2003 and are still sitting ,brand new NEVER used, wrapped, on a pallet. only opened for confirmation of product delivered.
Owner is asking $4,500. for all this.
Is this a good deal?

Look up the cost of these new on the MSC website. Their cheapest enco brand mill retails for twice that. I would say that's a good deal for a beginner set of machines. A lot of capability for cheap. They are not "top quality" machines, but you will get a lot of use out of them and be able to make a lot of good parts.

These items were purchased in 2003 and are still sitting ,brand new NEVER used, wrapped, on a pallet. only opened for confirmation of product delivered.
Owner is asking $4,500. for all this.
Is this a good deal?

Go find out if they even exist, first. There's been a long-running series of scams, several venues, Craiglist quite often, ebay less-so, of very similar "...brand new NEVER used, wrapped, on a pallet. only opened for confirmation of product delivered." nature.

Nine of those were for Land Rover motorcars, alone.

These items were purchased in 2003 and are still sitting ,brand new NEVER used, wrapped, on a pallet.

If the items are gone when you get there, I just so happen to have some ocean front property that's for sale. Strange, it's exactly the same ammount. :D

Be very, very careful with something like that!
JR

Thanks all for the valued input. I didn't want to go into great detail, but my friends father passed away right after purchase. My friend has no time,space, desire or wife that will allow him to use. I have all the invoices and shipping documents from Enco. I am sure this is a solid purchase. Just really needed to know if this was/is good equipment for beginner (hope some day, advanced) to work with and have possibility some sort of resale value.

Thanks all for the valued input. I didn't want to go into great detail, but my friends father passed away right after purchase. My friend has no time,space, desire or wife that will allow him to use. I have all the invoices and shipping documents from Enco. I am sure this is a solid purchase. Just really needed to know if this was/is good equipment for beginner (hope some day, advanced) to work with and have possibility some sort of resale value.

"Beginner" is exactly what it is. Even so, new condition, lower middle class can easily trump the real-world usefulness of even the former-glory of the finest and most royal of Old Iron once degraded to sad despair. DAMHIKT.

IOW - if you can afford it, are not already addicted to BETTER? Go for it.

Resale value, OTOH? Lottery ticket might have better returns. Mostly luck, either case.

:)

You do realize that the money you pay for equipment is only part of what you'll spend. This is an extremely expensive hobby. Some complain about it. I'd really hate for SWMBO to find out how much money there really is in my shop.
JR

You do realize that the money you pay for equipment is only part of what you'll spend. This is an extremely expensive hobby. Some complain about it. I'd really hate for SWMBO to find out how much money there really is in my shop.
JR

We could write that on on the wall. If it wasn't covered with tool cabinets, anyway.

My sometimes-resident Economist (but one of her degrees) has unfortunately recently "backed into" a sum that would have purchased a right-decent suburban home, most of the USA.

That I didn't "spend it all at once" carries scant mass. The excuse that it "keeps me out of pubs and brothels" has also lost traction.

She's twigged to my not having the interest nor stamina to spend much more than the price of a Starbuck's latte in either, even if combined as .. what? A "vente" cinnamon-vanilla BJ, maybe? Who can even remember...

:(

Still.. "he who dies with the most unfinished projects... etc.?" world-class lead on that metric..

:)

Knowing and trusting the people it came from makes it even better. Especially when it is coming with some tooling. For $4500, you can't get hurt (as long as you don't drop it on your foot!).

...you can't get hurt (as long as you don't drop it on your foot!).

Glad you mentioned that. Good steel-toad boots are a necessity, too.

Save a buck or three by stitchin' yer own if you can trap enough steel toads.

Mid you don't get look-alike STEAL toads. Small tools will start going missing.

:D

Sounds a good deal...But a lot of lathes are top heavy and dropped/tipped over at moving them ..Don't be that guy.

But the lathe (s) should have the new lathe stuff..3jaw- 4jar -steady to be worth a new lathe price..
agree the DRO is worth some bucks.
and a new lathe has a warranty.
Guess you should add up the new lath and stuff price to be sure

Looks like an Enco 1340 might be worth $9k new with shipping so does look like a good price. Used perhaps $2000
Buck

Welcome to PM good to make your next thread start liken to the subject.
New member lathe purchase question..... might have been better.

Last edited:

Back