What's new
What's new

New Standard modern. vs. Clausing

Marvin S

Aluminum
If you had a choice of a (New) lathe in the 15to16 inch swing class would it be a standard modern 1600 or a clausing 8044 css. Im leaning toward the clausing for the constant surface speed feature. Thanks.

Arent the clausings now made in Taiwan?

Personally I will never buy aanother Clausing Colchester. I have a 17" Most or all the handles are plastic. THin plastic at that. The main speed change handle is hollow plastic. It broke. Called clausing. It was around $900.

A substandard design with a high replacement cost.

The Clausings are made in China now. But I recently had a chance to run a new Clausing, with the CSS and it was really sweet (takes some time to get used to, but awesome for facing)
The Standard modern has never been one of my favorite machines, but I really don't have too much time on them.
I have never broken a single handle on any lathe, unless I used a hammer or tipped it over :D I can't speak for that exact one, but I personally have never had a problem with that.

I don't know about a new one, but the late 70's - early 80's (I went with the boss to the tool show and he bought one there) was a fine machine.
A little light, but very accurate.

I have run a Standard Modern more than any other
lathe, I have nothing but good to say about them,
dependable, no problems and made in North America too.

I've never owned one, but every time I've heard Standard Modern discussed, the words "light duty" and "not very rigid" seem to be spoken. Proto Trak used them as the base of their first cnc lathes. They ran well, accurately, and for a long time, but when I was looking at one, everyone who new them told me not to expect to take substantial cuts in any material.

I own a 1340. LOVE IT!!
Still made in Canada, and parts and technical support is easily available.
Well thought of here in Canada. Those who say "light duty and not very ridgid" probably have never run one.

Pete

i suspect "light duty" was in comparison to
a monarch or okuma . the one i used briefly
was more like a leblond regal (a fine
machine compared to most chinese junk)

definately not a pacemaker, but 75 % of the time
i'm probably not in need of .800 doc in tool
steel .

Hi,

The new Clausing-Colchesters are now made in Taiwan. I used to be a Colchester dealer in Houston.The machines from 1969-1992 were great.Then they decided to go with a new varible speed model. Wound up like Coca-Cola going to new Coke. They came back with a geared head machine. Was not as good. When I closed down in 2000 they were made in India.
That didn't work. I came back in 2002 and they were being made in Taiwan.
I symphathize with the person who needed a handle from the factory.
To remedy that I have started selling used Clausing-Colchester parts at a discount, I also have manuals if any one needs one. My web-site is www.fdk3co.com and I will help anybody with any questions if I can.

As far as the Standard-Modern goes- They were made in Canada in the 1970's and didn't hold a candle to the Colchesters made in the 70s to 90's.

Frank Kleinworth

Man, its sad to hear that the Clausing-Colchesters have drifted downstream, I had a pipe dream of buying a new one some day, oh well.

Paul T.

The Clausings are made in China, by Dalian Machine Tool Group. Have been there and seen them in person being produced. Now these are the ones that say Clausing 600 group on them, Not the Clausing Metosa lathe.

I can tell you though that this place is impressive and I bet they will be just as good as they were years ago, like I said I had a chance to run a fairly new one (6 mos. old) and it was very very nice.

Hi Guys, I'm new to the group but I thought I would throw in my two cents worth.
I own a Standard Modern Lathe and like it very much. They may not be the heaviest of lathes when you compare them to the likes of Okuma but they are certainly not light either, a 20x60 ships at 5100 lbs! They are also available new in the box and are still made here in Canada as far as I know. The big bonus is you have factory support and parts from Standard Modern or from LeBlond in the US & Canada, that is a big plus in my books, I had to deal with them for parts and it was as easy as picking up the phone, giving them my machines serial number and the parts were on their way! Try that with any of the Oriental imports. I guess I am partial to these machines because theyrepresent one of the last manufacturers still building in North America and I just don't want to see them go like all the rest.
bigbull

Back