What's new
What's new

New Wilton Vice - $6800!?

McMaster lists the same vise for $2,950. Catalog #5298A26

FYI

Oh, thank god! That's so much more reasonable. I can only get 6 Kurt vices for that price. :)

So Grainger is off the wall. But why does it still cost $3000?!?!? It's a lump of cast iron with some very basic machining.

Just saw the USA thing.. small print eh

Maybe keeping the price high enough to make sure they don't have to make a 2nd one... cause wtf.

I just phoned acklands grainger here and they dont have the 800s in cataloge, but have a 6 in. with swivel in the book at 6808.50 and they will sell it to me for 2475.00 through my workplace as we buy a ton of stuff and get better pricing than a walk in. The 6in. does have the added pipe vise feature whereas the above 800s doesnt.

The retail price from JPW is currently $5100.00. Normal street retail would be in the $3200.00 range. Current promotion price is listed at $3849.00, but that is still pretty high for the current dealer cost. I would expect to see most serious dealers selling this in the $3000.00 range on this promotion.

You don't see many Wiltons over here, which is a shame as I have used a couple, and they are pretty nice.

I suppose many many shops over here use 'Record' vices, which are now made by Irwin in the PRC, I believe.

Lots of different models available, so for example...

A new 6inch quick release is about £600 ish,
Irwin Record Engineers Vice | Save 26% | UKToolCentre.co.uk

BUT the new vices have a bit of a bad rep - whilst I am not saying the old British made ones were brilliant, the new Chinese ones seem a bit 'off' somehow.

And, with ebay, gumtree , and the move away from manufacture to some extent, there are lots of virtually-new vices about.

I buy up old ones, cos you can easily get a nice one for about a £5, if you dont mind waiting.
I bought 12 for £80 last week, 6 nice quick releases and 4 woodworking vices and 2 mechanics vices. The jaws were all like new (ex school I think)

Got about 40 vices now, hiding in the shop waiting for their debut...

I should really take a few pics sometime and post them.

Our sister company is a True Value Hardware Store. They're a Wilton / Jet dealer. Just checked price out of curiosity, $3,814 is what the Wilton 800S would sell for here this month (July promotion of some sort).

So, it seems that nobody has any idea why it costs so much money. I have no idea why it costs so much money either.

I'm in the market for a new, big, quality vice - but I can't justify just getting raped like this.

Thanks guys,
Jon

Bic I have Record vices, my engineer's vice isn't however quick release, and that feature would be nice. So far nothing has leapt out of it without warning and sprinted around the workshop before dropping on my toes, so I guess they must be doing something right!

I'd hardly consider a bench vice a precision instrument (hence the cast in anvil) and fail to see why anyone would pay US$6800 for that Wilton.

To answer the OP's question, if the situation is anything like here, it would indicate they have a lot of Government customers, who will pay anything asked. It's not their money, and it's just another number that gets deducted from the budget. When I was in retail the end of financial year was always a great time for us, as the Government departments would all be madly rushing about trying to spend every last cent of their budget just so they could be assigned the same budget again the following year. Conversely if they were frugal with their spending, the Budget Gods would decide they don't need such a large budget and cut their allocation. The most bizarre example of government inefficiency ... well unless I guess you're selling $6800 vices!!

Bic I have Record vices, my engineer's vice isn't however quick release, and that feature would be nice. So far nothing has leapt out of it without warning and sprinted around the workshop before dropping on my toes, so I guess they must be doing something right!

I'd hardly consider a bench vice a precision instrument (hence the cast in anvil) and fail to see why anyone would pay US$6800 for that Wilton.

To answer the OP's question, if the situation is anything like here, it would indicate they have a lot of Government customers, who will pay anything asked. It's not their money, and it's just another number that gets deducted from the budget. When I was in retail the end of financial year was always a great time for us, as the Government departments would all be madly rushing about trying to spend every last cent of their budget just so they could be assigned the same budget again the following year. Conversely if they were frugal with their spending, the Budget Gods would decide they don't need such a large budget and cut their allocation. The most bizarre example of government inefficiency ... well unless I guess you're selling $6800 vices!!

i reckon you could have hit the nail on the head, I have seen grown men have no concept whatsoever of how a vice even works, and the management of many government bodies probably has lots of such men showering money like a sailor in port. hence crazy prices.

or maybe they are a real slow seller for wilton, and a ballacher to make, so they try to price them to get no orders?

i can recommend the older record quick releases. as long as the Buttress thread is in good order, they tend to last forever. a record 112 in nicely worn in condition is a joy to use.

Back