What's new
What's new

Newbie - bought new milling machine - how to remove dark spots?

VX001

Plastic
Hi,

I have been reading the forum for a while and purchased a new benchtop milling machine for the garage.
After cleaning the rust protective thick wax from the table, there are some dark spots left (please see the area inside the red rectangle in the attached pictures).
Is it rust?
Any recommendations on how to remove it in a way that will leave the table look even (as it looks right now for the most part) and not with discolored/ stained or scratched areas where the spots were removed?

Table Spots 1.jpgTable Spots 2.jpg

Thank you very much for the help!

This is called rust. There will be more. What you see are pits and when the oxide is removed, you will have holes where the oxide was. Removing the spots means cutting the non-rusted metal around the holes. This is exactly what you do NOT want to do. Those machined surfaces must be straight. Keep those surfaces oiled. The spots do not hurt the machine's function, removing them will.

I like to fine oil stone any flat surfaces..and For any rounded surfaces very fine abrasive paper (with a stiff backer).
Mostly you only wish to make the original surface to be flat and clean ..Not trying to go to the bottom of nicks and scrapes..

For nicks in number dials the very fine paper..and a very fine file to just take away any nicks just down to original surface. This also to only make the original surface.

Thanks so much everyone for the fast reply. I am not worried about the machine functionality being affected as the spots are small, it is just that being a brand new machine I didn't think that there should be any rust on it.
I find the rest of the table very satisfying visually, it's beautiful, so this it's just a visual issue (yes, I am a little OCD :)
I covered it with Breakfree CLP that I had around for now and today I am getting some LPS2 for shorter term rust prevention and LPS3 for longer term.

Thank you again!

If those little spots offend you ,what will you do when you put the first divot on the table from a drill or end mill? And trust me you WILL !! Go into therapy !

Is it rust?
Any recommendations on how to remove it in a way that will leave the table look even (as it looks right now for the most part) and not with discolored/ stained or scratched areas where the spots were removed?

Yes.

Get some vinegar and dab over the rust pits. Let it sit for a few minutes and scrub with a tooth brush. If the surrounding area around the pits brighten up a bit then cover the entire table with a damp cloth wet with vinegar. Check periodically and finally wipe it all down and oil the table. Vinegar has a slow reaction time and will give you plenty of time to decide what looks right.

Sounds like someone needs a few more years in the trade. Earmark this Thread, and when it happens (and it will), dredge it up from the Archives and say so. :D:D

R

Not everyone screws up the equipment that they use.I've been in the trade since the late '70s btw.

patina is a gift make sure stuff is flat and use the tool. as for pecker marks my BP has a pile of them and the BP vice was power feed into a few times but not by me. i will admit to putting a few pecker marks with drills on my mini mill import vice but never on the table. and have had it from the start 15 years ago

Metal polish such as Brasso,or your equivalent. The pumice in the polish will lift rust,grime etc from the pores in CI without abrading the metal or embedding.

Not everyone screws up the equipment that they use.I've been in the trade since the late '70s btw.

1961 before I was actually being PAID for it.

I had already learned to quit lying about it before I went on the clock, though.

:D

Mind - I never have made many of those divots, but WTH?
Work hard enough, fast enough to be productive as well as tired, they can happen, ELSE NOT.

Friggin's newby! If you've never screwed up, you're either lying or haven't done much.
JR

Yea, you're absolutely right, My banker has loaned me money over the last four decades so I can sit all day on my ass eating pizza, drinking beer and smokin' Cuban cigars.

Back