What's new
What's new

Newbie narrow 1 mm cut off rings question

Quantist

Aluminum
Hi
On an Alum. bar 8 mm Dia. I need to make grooves using like a cut off tool with 1 mm width and 2 mm deep. What kind of tools do I need? I have a desktop lathe.
photo_2017-10-14_03-25-35.jpgphoto_2017-10-14_03-24-36.jpg

My google search shows parting tool min. thickness is 1/16" = 1.6 mm and my question would be how can I make a parting tool < 1 mm. ?

While you are looking for ways to cut the grooves, also be thinking of ways to drill the 0.3 dia holes. 0.012 drills are not very forgiving.

So true, I have settled for a 7cms. long 1 mm. drill bit since with 12 groves the part's length will be about 5 cms. long and I will have to make a drill jig for it since must make 1400 of these parts.

HSS , grinder.
What ever happened to old school,used to grind my own tools for years.
HSS works better on Alum. than Carbide on slower lathes.

The best way but must find a quick tutorial on how to grind tool first, never done it before. I found a tool with 2 mm. thickness now I have to find a way to reduce it evenly to 1 mm.

Thanks also a very valid idea and do have thin dremel type grinders but making a holder for the dremel will be complicated for me.

You could use the lathe.. Find some rectangular stuff ( small saw blade... ) which is 1mm thick. Grind two angles on it. That's all.

Back