What's new
What's new

Wilton Horizontal Band Saw

DacMan

Plastic
Hey everyone I'm new to the forum and hope this thread is placed in the right position. I am a college student and am slowly acquiring machinery for my future home shop. I recently purchased a clean Wilton horizontal band saw for $45.00 with no motor. It's an older 3z990. It originally came with a 1/2hp motor, however I have a brand new 1/3hp motor that spins the stock rpm (1725). I don't want a grossly underpowered saw, however I would also like to avoid buying a new motor if possible. Does anyone have any thoughts on whether I could comfortably get away with a small hp power plant? Furthermore if I do need to replace the original should I consider a higher hp motor maybe 3/4 or even 1?

Thanks, DacMan

Welcome.
I would say the smaller motor is a little underpowered, as ours is 3/4 hp. However, for occasional shop use all you would have to do is slow down your feedrate and it should do fine. choosing a blade that requires less power (less aggressive cut) will also help. How much HP does a hacksaw have in your hand? Far less! you will just have to go a little slower, but I bet it would work and save you some $$

dear DACMan,

I'm italian dealer and shareholder of FORTE bandsaw ( the best in the world ). If do you want some information and improve your cutting solution let me know.
regards

Alberto

First thing I would do is check on blade availability, I have the same one and can only find blades at Grainger & they are expensive. That saw had a strange/odd band size and has been discontinued

A lookup table shows that saw uses a 1/2" x 5'8" blade. 1/3 hp would be plenty of motor to drive a saw using a half inch blade.

You can buy M42 bi-metal blades from 601 Production Band Saw Blade for less than you'd spend at grainger for carbon steel blades.

I've got a 40 yr old Wilton that's the saw all the Chinese 4x6 saws are copies of. It uses a 1/2" blade. I use it for sawing thin wall tubing and other similar stuff that would rip the teeth off the blades in my bigger saws. I've found a 10-14 variable pitch blade works real well for that saw. Note that 1/2" blades are available in both .025 and .035 thickness. The .035 will be stiffer and more resistant to twisting. If the saw originally used .025 blades, you can adjust the guides for the additional thickness. Blade prices are about the same for either thickness.

A lookup table shows that saw uses a 1/2" x 5'8" blade. 1/3 hp would be plenty of motor to drive a saw using a half inch blade.

You can buy M42 bi-metal blades from 601 Production Band Saw Blade for less than you'd spend at grainger for carbon steel blades.

I've got a 40 yr old Wilton that's the saw all the Chinese 4x6 saws are copies of. It uses a 1/2" blade. I use it for sawing thin wall tubing and other similar stuff that would rip the teeth off the blades in my bigger saws. I've found a 10-14 variable pitch blade works real well for that saw. Note that 1/2" blades are available in both .025 and .035 thickness. The .035 will be stiffer and more resistant to twisting. If the saw originally used .025 blades, you can adjust the guides for the additional thickness. Blade prices are about the same for either thickness.

That's perfect because it will be used often to cut exhaust tubing. Thanks for the great information!

First thing I would do is check on blade availability, I have the same one and can only find blades at Grainger & they are expensive. That saw had a strange/odd band size and has been discontinued

We have a guy make out blades for us, and he's made us blades for this particular one in the past, so I think he can make most anyting I want. Thanks for the warning though.

hope it's not 304 exhaust tube.
i couldn't get my little one to cut any thin wall SS tube no matter what i did to it.
had to crank the blade tension so tight that i would go through a blade a week if it didnt jump right off.. Gave up and started using the bigger horizontal with 18 tooth carbon steel blades using a fine feed for the downfeed cylinder and flood coolant and works great but i swear i tried everything to get the little guy to cut the stuff and it would just rip the blade right off the wheels as soon as i got through to the wall section every time.

Back