What's new
What's new

No spill cutting oil cup

Russ Sauer

Plastic
I'm looking for a cutting oil cup with hole for your acid brush that I've seen in somebody's catalog. It's made so the fluid wont spill out if it tips on its side. Tried a google search but couldn't remember the name of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Russ

I just spilled my damn cutting oil cup the other day...all over the side of the machine and down into the top of the shop vac, pain in the ass. I wouldn't mind picking up one of these, but they do seem a little small, any larger versions around?

Early learning centres over here do spill proof paint tubs for kids. I keep meaning to get some. What is nice is they have diffrent colour tops so can be used for diffrent things.

Forget the cups and acid brush. Get some disposable 10CC syringes. The cup on the plunger will deteriorate with contact to hydrocarbons, but a standard O-ring out of your selection will replace it. You can use the needles that come with the syringes, or get "fill needles" from B&D. They are blunt, fat and work great. With the syringe you can put drops of fluid exactly where you want, and there's no waste or spillage.

Yep, great for precision oiling, but they really upset military police when you take your tool box into a secure area and you have 3 or 4 diffrent loaded syringes in there :-0 Great way to carry a small qty of oil, light oil and grease (use to have both moly grease and silicone in the tool box that way) With reguard to the syringes, get the ones with the o ring like plunger, not the ones with the big rubber bung! I use to find the plastic needles to create a lot less agro taking stuff on sight than the blunt dispensing style needles. Get the right size and there tapered internaly, you can then cut them back and wedge a WD straw in there for really awkward to get spots.

That said for cutting oil i still like a small brush for tapping, more to brush the chips off than paint the oil on! The secret i find is to have just a dribble of oil in the tub. Any more and it gets messy!

I prefer spray bottles to brushes. I keep three on my roll around: one simple green, one heavy cutting oil, and one with coolant.

My no-spill arrangement:

Use a small tin with a lowboy profile such as the ones catfood treats come in - this is the tin you will fill halffull or so with cutting oil.
Get a larger tin, also lowboy form, such as a sardine tin and fill it 2/3 or so full of West System, or similar epoxy.
Set the small tin in, weighted down, and let the whole business harden overnight.
Add the oil and a small brush.
Weights, magnets- optional.

Hard to tip this even if you try.

Back