What's new
What's new

Shadow CNC control

MitsTech

Stainless
I have a very nice condition Shadow CNC 2 axis control with two motors, ballscrews, etc. Control also has a 3rd input for spindle position.

Any ideas what this thing may be worth? I know they are fairly dated but it's a great unit for a retrofit or a plasma table or something.

Need some pics and more details. I just put a Shadow control on my Shizouka AN-S last year.
It's a nice control but has some operational limits.
I'd give $2-300 for it but if you can find the right buyer or give more details you should be able to get more.

A Shadow is a lot better than an old Bandit. I think brand new, the controller retails for about $8000 and the servomotors are about $1000 each. The reliability of the circuit boards seems to be very good. The ballscrews are worth whatever they are worth.

The control is limited to 10000 lines of memory which is kind of a dopey restriction, but that is how they made it. It will DNC fairly readily. It is probably only capable of about 40 ipm on high segment gcode on DNC because it is not a fast processor, and does not do lookahead, and, AFAIK, does not do tool radius compensation properly. At least whenever I tried it, it wandered way the hell off to the middle of nowhere :D Old Bandit could execute radius comp correctly.

It's a shame to dump it for next to no money, because the hardware is plenty good enough for an ambitious hobbyist, or a second op machine that might free up a VMC to do more complex stuff. But the value is in the eye of the buyer.

Just checked my records. I paid $3100 for a new control bare last year.

I used my old drive boards, servos and ballscrews. Had to buy encoders though. Got the old Shizouka up and running for under $3500.

My offer was for buying it blind. If you want decent money for any equipment it has to be tested and you have to be willing to stand behind it.
Also many pictures are in order.

MitsTech
I know it's an old post, but did you ever sell this controller? I've got an old Lagun mill with a Bandit control thats been working well for me, but I'd like to upgrade.

J. Clear

Last edited:

Back