What's new
What's new

Shop aprons for fat boys.

Kent

Cast Iron
I wear a denim shop apron to keep from trashing all my work clothes not to mention the tiny slivers of steel from using a carbide burr in a die grinder.

Anyway, being a 6' 300 pounder I am wider than a lot of the shop aprons are designed for. Anyone know of a source for economical denim aprons that are wider than standard? I don't care about pockets or not.

The suppliers I usually use for shop stuff don't seem to have anything but standard.

The Duluth Trading apron is pretty big, but it's not cheap. One of my guys bought one and it was too big for him so I bought it from him. I'm 6-4 270, plenty big for me, might be ok for you.

Got a sewing machine? Buy some denim material and add what you need. That oughta be cheap enough. I've used a regular sewing machine to sew up recovery strap that would snatch a truck out.

I'm afraid the only sewing I do is an occassional button. Paying someone to make them or modify them is a last resort.

The Duluth Trading apron is a bit fancier than I was looking for but the price isn't bad at all. I'll have to try one.

I have a lab coat from another job. Too hot with no air circulation. I'm in AZ so even with A/C the shop gets warm.

Bluejeep, thanks for the dimension. I really would like 30"+ on the major width.

Forrest, yes it needs a pocket, but I wish they'd put them on the inside so they don't fill with chips!!

Kent. I have to go for custom on length, and getting them made up is nowhere near as expensive as you think,even front desk top dollar........ or try looking up a sewing group or something.

I've a ''mutual arrangement'' with an elderly lady who's sewing machine I repaired years ago, where hard cash doesn't actually change hands :cool:

Take care. Sami.

... yes it needs a pocket, but I wish they'd put them on the inside so they don't fill with chips!!

How about wearing the apron outside in (inside out?)?

Forrest,

The leather durability sounds good. But how do you clean them of the cutting oil and splash that gets all over my aprons? Doesn't it ruin the leather?

How about wearing the apron outside in (inside out?)?

--------------------------------------------------

Why not indeed? but hey with these management dudes in their fancy suits, can't us machinists cut just a little dash now and again ;)

Take care. Sami.

Take 2 regular size aprons, sew them together overlapping them in the middle, now you end up with "extra durability/extra thickness in the belly area" and 2 pockets on the chest area as well (scales, pen, pencil, scribe,ref chart/trig pocket size book, pocket calculator ((GEEK it OUT MAN)), etc etc etc. Will last a life time!

IT WORKS been there done that!!!

SteelCutter

How about a food supply house or a BBQ place that sells supplies. The Aprons worn my some of the heaver cooks should fit you to a tee.
The cooking aprons have different pockets along the waist. Someone in your local high school could make you a pocket for extra credit.
And then their is Omar's Tent and Awning.
Maybe a place that makes boat covers. Just some random thoughts.
Regards Walt.

Not wishing to live in a glass house and throw stones but I've found the easiest way to fit my overalls is to attempt to reduce my size rather than increase the overalls.

Obviously if you are a body builder that's not your prefered option. I'm not fat, just big boned!

a canvas and awning guy or gal could make the worlds best apron for 30-40 bucks any size you want. Cooks aprons would be cheap from a rental place that are stained to bad for use. My step son is a chef and he is your size at least! His arms are bigger than my thighs, no one messes with that 350 pound dude.

Back