What's new
What's new

Nomenclature/source, SCMCN-type holder to use 100* edges on CCMT insert?

MZ

Aluminum
Can anyone out there reference a proper ISO name and/or source for a neutral OD/chamfer turning holder to use the otherwise wasted obtuse (100*) point on CCMT inserts?

The SCMCN found in catalogs seems to always use the acute (80*) point. I found comparable holders for negative geometry (CNMG), but none for positive.

Tx,

mike

That's it, thanks! Kennametal, Sandvik, Walter etc. don't show this style.

Now, to find one; google looks to be fresh out, your reply was the top hit. Probably special order. Am I the only cheap b@stard obsessed with using the whole insert?

(For ref. I'd be looking for Dorian p/n SCYCN08-3A or equivalent...)

Hello MZ
I think that you're looking for a "SCYC" tool holder. Look on page B-36 of Dorian Turning And Boring Cataloge.

Wonder how good the chip-breaker geometry on the obtuse points is and whether best speed / feed / depth of cut needs changing from book range for best results. As the brand name makes don't offer tool holders using those edges I can't see the manufacturing process being deliberately set up to give best form there.

Clive

I'll never understand these tools and people "saving" money by using these "wasted" edges. A good carbide insert with a proper chip breaker is all of $10 or $12 dollars. And you get 4 (or 6 with a trigon) real cutting edges. But, that's just not enough...

Am I the only cheap b@stard obsessed with using the whole insert?

Hello MZ
Not at all!!!
I recently made a horizontal boring bar for my mill boring head for big through holes & am in the process of making a vertical one for small through holes (spare time project) to get my $ worth.:)

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...-ts4-7-10m1-ccmt-inserts-so-expensive-334717/

I got the idea from someone else on here who is of similar mind (link in post #27.):)

I plan to make some holders for OD turning as well.

I'll never understand these tools and people "saving" money by using these "wasted" edges. A good carbide insert with a proper chip breaker is all of $10 or $12 dollars. And you get 4 (or 6 with a trigon) real cutting edges. But, that's just not enough...

Hello Ewlsey
Maybe growing up in a family with 7 children in it had something to do with it???:confused::confused::confused:

The Sandvik and Kennametal CCMT inserts in my box have full cut geometry and chip breakers on all 4 points; and the CCGT high positives for aluminum are precision ground all round. They must be allowing for some kind of use on those points, even if they don't sell a holder.

As to "why," well the CCGT's are actually closer to $18, but mainly it's just OCD :D

Wonder how good the chip-breaker geometry on the obtuse points is and whether best speed / feed / depth of cut needs changing from book range for best results. As the brand name makes don't offer tool holders using those edges I can't see the manufacturing process being deliberately set up to give best form there.

Clive

I use the polished, sharp, aluminum cutting ccgt inserts for turning wood. I prefer the obtuse angle, get a better cut. I've made my own tool holders so I can change the rake angle, I get less tear out on curly maple with less rake.

Nice to know that the obtuse edges still have proper chip breaker geometry should I ever have occasion to use my holders. I grabbed the holders for very little money to use when cleaning up "rough stuff" likely to beat the heck out of an edge after running through several inserts far to quickly. Naturally I've not seen a job of that ilk since!

Clive

SCMCNxxxx -100 seem like one way to mark it and gets some hits on sauerkraut ebay and various sellers from unmentionable country in ***express. 10USD including postage :willy_nilly:
For example SCMCN1616h09-100

Back