What's new
What's new

IR 30 compressor crankcase heater

weedy64

Aluminum
What is normal wattage for a heater for my IR30 compressor. I have it outside in a lean-to and when its 35F and below I want to warm it with an all on heater (no controller). Any thoughts, experience with such?

I have my compressor in the garage, and below 30 temps in the there are common. I've not noticed any sluggishness in its starting or running.

Do you have a problem with starting and running, or just want to add heat because you want to. A dipstick type heater would seem large enough for any shop size compressor. The element is only a few inches long on those as I remember. 45 years ago now.

It is new to me so I dont know how it starts up. It was a basket case...I just rebuilt the pump, replaced every thing except LP piston with OE parts from Evilbay. I have not run it yet, but I would like it to run the rest of my life. 1-man shop, so I dont have huge demand, but I have an abrasive cabinet and various air tools. It has a 3/4NPT port for a low oil switch option which I dont have so I was going to add an immersion heater. Ive seen 65W, 100W for $20, I just dont really have a feeling if that is enough or too much for continuous use on a cold day. Its outside for space and noise reasons.

My GD compressor used to need frequent oil changes due to milky oil so I hoping to help prevent it on this one.

Seeing as it never gets too cold in your area, try the 100W heater for now and see how it works. If it's not enough you can add one of those 100-150W stick on heaters that are designed for auto oil pans. The most important thing would be the type of oil you use. Get a good synthetic oil and you shouldn't have any lubrication issues. I'm not sure if IR synthetic oil is true synthetic or not but you can always get a few quarts of Amsoil which is good stuff. I've been using their compressor oil in my Devilbiss for about 4 years and haven't had any problems. Btw, my compressor is in the cold room in the basement so it'll get below freezing in the winter.

If it were me though, I would just try some good oil before spending money on any heaters.

Since you sort of have to automate the heater (is it going to be on 24x7 except disabled when the pressure switch "calls" for air?) you could build a rigid foam enclosure for something easy like a light bulb and have an actuator (like an air cylinder) open one-two doors to the insulated enclosure.

I have my 80 gal compressor outside under a lean-to also. Last weekend it ran fine when it was 8deg. When I went to turn it on I thought about going out shoveling all the snow away and putting a heater next to it, but once it fired up and ran fine I was glade I did not go through all the work.

What is normal wattage for a heater for my IR30 compressor. I have it outside in a lean-to and when its 35F and below I want to warm it with an all on heater (no controller). Any thoughts, experience with such?

One caution with the immersion type heaters without temperature control is that most oils start to coke somewhere around 160-190deg.F. This does not happen rapidly but you can inadvertently end up with coke particles floating in the oil and oil that is prematurely aged. This potentially could cause you to actually accelerate the compressor wear and not even realize it.

Sort of negates what you are trying to accomplish if not done correctly.

And that why I like this forum, thanks Zig. I got a Mars 100W heater for $13, so I will try it at 240V and see how the oil responds and switch to 120V if necessary.

I won't run it 24x7, just when its cold. If a temperature controller falls in my lap I will automate it, for now just connected to my shop lights should do.

Back