What's new
What's new

bought a new milling machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

grumpyvette

Plastic
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Shop-Fox-Vertical-Mill-9-x-49-/T20828

I just bought this, for those guys that don,t know I run a small custom engine build shop, and with my mechanical engineering back ground and experiance I doubt ILL get too far off course, with the mill, but any hints or info about milling you guys want to add will be most helpful, your never in a position where you can,t learn more!
I looked for a used american made mill for several months but most I found locally were either well worn or abused , and in many cases rusted, and decades old, IM well aware its not a true production grade mill, but IM only doing mods on EFI intakes at this point, with the correct jigs I could probably have used a large drill press, for the minor stuff Im doing, but any info you gentelmen can provide will be helpful....btw I did get the coolant pumps, trays, and 6" vise also

Welcome. You might want to pick up a copy of the book "Turret Mill Operation." Sort of a generic how-to manual for the type of mill you've purchased.

IMHO, you'd be better off to leave the coolant trays and pumps in their packages until you get started....in my opinion unless you are running a production job and need to maximize tool-life and can deal with the incredible mess and hassle, it's not worthwhile.

You mention "mods to EFI manifolds" which I would not categorize as hard work on presumably sand-cast aluminum.

Also IMHO once your war chest recovers the most useful mill accessory is a DRO.

man i have 2 mills i can get you for a good price , i found a gem for my buddy for $1100 its a series 1 vari head and very nice with a dro, thats a once in a blue moon deal thou. im in s florida too.

man i have 2 mills i can get you for a good price , i found a gem for my buddy for $1100 its a series 1 vari head and very nice with a dro, thats a once in a blue moon deal thou. im in s florida too.

link? PM me if need be

link? PM me if need be

im not a dealer or anything ,but in south florida there are very little machines
around and i have some friends in the know. a beat up mill here can bring $3000 at auction, but without many machinist around they can sit around till money shows up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back