What's new
What's new

O.T. Horizontal Bandsaw Query.

redlee

Titanium
IMG_4757.jpgIMG_4756.jpg
Anyone tell me what this adjustable piece is for,I cant see their being enough mass to be used as a counterweight.
The saw has a spring and a cylinder for feed.
Thanks

Can't see it being anything but a counterweight of some sort. Is it hollow? Could it be filled with small pcs. of steel?
Chips? Or lead shot? Is it on the front or the back of the saw? Some saws don't need much weight to regulate the
balance...

Can't see it being anything but a counterweight of some sort. Is it hollow? Could it be filled with small pcs. of steel?
Chips? Or lead shot? Is it on the front or the back of the saw? Some saws don't need much weight to regulate the
balance...

Yes hollow and capped on one end if you were to fill with something it would come out.

Originally those Carolina POSs had a telescoping foot so the thing could be tipped up and used as a vertical bandsaw. I never saw what the optional table looked like. Amazing they are still around...

Actually, that piece is used as a support leg when you disconnect the hydraulic cylinder and raise the saw to a vertical position. When the saw was sold new, there was a slotted plate with a square tube welded to one side of it to be used as a table. There should be a short piece of square tubing welded to the frame under the driven wheel, you'll see it if you raise the frame as far as you can(with or without disconnecting the cylinder). If you want to get technical, the red saws were branded RAM or RAMCO with a 4" square beam, the green one was the Carolina with a 3" beam. The RAMCO came out later than the Carolina. I have owned my Carolina since late '86 and have cut hundreds of thousands of pieces of carbon, stainless, and alloy, flatbar, tubing, angle, and bar stock. It will serve you well if you treat it with the respect due any other machinery. Lots of folks laugh, but I paid $500 new and have replaced the gearbox twice and the cylinder once in 31 years.

Originally those Carolina POSs had a telescoping foot so the thing could be tipped up and used as a vertical bandsaw. I never saw what the optional table looked like. Amazing they are still around...

I still have the original table to my Carolina. If the OP is interested, I'd be happy to upload a photo. I never liked the table because it was to flimsy.

Just got it, whats the problem with it?
It was cheap so you wont hurt my feelings.
Its actually well made and its replacing a Kalamazoo thats a real POS
Stricly occasional use.

If you thought a Kalamazoo was junk wait till you use that POS for a while. Flexy flier, you can't get the blade tight enough to stay on for anything but the lightest of cuts so it's slow, real slow. Blade guides are a joke, if you do get it to cut straight it won't for long. Blade speed range sucks, too slow for aluminum. Been 10 - 15 years since I gave mine away so the memory fades thankfully! After someone posted about what I called the counterweight I remembered about the vertical setup, that is the stop that holds it upright. If you have the table it is so flexible so as to be useless. O yeah, only about 1/2 horsepower so a sharp blade will stall it if you try any sort of real cut rate. Other than all that it's not so great as a saw and it's to light for a good boat anchor.

Mine has cut every thing i put under the blade, souped er up with a 1hp 240 volt motor, best saw i have, only saw I have, see how that works Beverly?
I bought mine for 50$, guy said he couldnt make it work, but he wasnt a machinist/Tool&Diemaker.
Gw

Mine has cut every thing i put under the blade, souped er up with a 1hp 240 volt motor, best saw i have, only saw I have, see how that works Beverly?
I bought mine for 50$, guy said he couldnt make it work, but he wasnt a machinist/Tool&Diemaker.
Gw

OK, it's perfect, Amada and DoAll are just screwing their customers. Like that thread where the guy is building a cnc router for 350.00 with chinese and parts from little machine shop. Equal to anything from Mazak and Makino. OK whatever.

If I can get it to cut straight and not fail its all I need, Im retired and I need a saw occasionally so I dont have to use a vice and a hacksaw.
Thanks for all the honest advice.

Gw

I revamped the hydraulics on mine. The cheap cylinder leaks so I fabricated a reservoir with a check valve. The reservoir sits above the top of the cylinder, and keeps the fluid level full in the cylinder. The check valve allows me to raise the beam without changing the feed rate.

The factory mounted the feed cylinder wrong. Switch the cylinder to rod end down and the entrained air gets bled out above the cut when the blade is in air rather than towards the bottom when the blade is in the workpiece.

No, its not the best bandsaw. But mine was always faster than my tater-powered hacksaw.

Back